Putting laterite into an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have any advice for taking out the gravel, plants, and fish, to put in some laterite and then put everything back in, or is this a bad idea? I'd really like to give my rooted plants something a little better than just the gravel I have, but not if its going to mess anything up too badly.

you could if you have buckets.

I just dumped sixty pounds of fluorite over my sand then did a water change. I could hear the fish coughing on the dust, but they are OK. All my plants came out, And I did some aquascaping for a change. I am real happy. It would have been easier to do with a completly empty tank though.

edit: mine was used, so it wasn't as dusty as new.

you could if you have buckets.

I just dumped sixty pounds of fluorite over my sand then did a water change. I could hear the fish coughing on the dust, but they are OK. All my plants came out, And I did some aquascaping for a change. I am real happy. It would have been easier to do with a completly empty tank though.

edit: mine was used, so it wasn't as dusty as new.

Yeah, I'm having fun dusting this stuff right now. ;) Its like putting mud in a bucket and wondering why the water isn't getting any clearer, haha.

It would be much easier to add fert tabs instead of the laterite. If the laterite gets exposed to the water column you're in for a major algae bloom.

It would be much easier to add fert tabs instead of the laterite. If the laterite gets exposed to the water column you're in for a major algae bloom.

I guess I'm in for a major algae bloom then. XD

At the very least, when I finally got it in and under the gravel it didn't cloud my water at all (maybe cause I spent about 2 hours rinsing it).

Laterite generally isn't rinsed. Are you actually talking about Flourite?

Laterite generally isn't rinsed. Are you actually talking about Flourite?

Nope. It was that First Layer Laterite stuff that comes in a box from API. It said on the back to give it a good rinse. Maybe I rinsed too much. But life is an experiment! :D

Back
Top Bottom