Puzzling Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I appear to be nearing the end of a lengthy fish in cycle of 40 gallons with a single long term resident, a 5" goldfish. It's been about 90 days now.

I have been doing WC as necessary to keep the ammonia, and nitrite to negligible levels, with 30% WC as soon as levels reached near .25. Last week, I got the nitrate test which I was missing. LAST WC was tuesday of last week. Got the nitrate test Friday nite, and tested along with everything else. Friday nite tests were pH 6.5, Amm 0, nitrite .1 (trace) and 5ppm Nitrate.

Brought up pH slightly with BS. Today I get, 6.8/0/.1/0.

My question is how can the Nitrate go to zero? I checked it twice. I thought it was the final step, and the only way to get rid of nitrate is WC which is the long term way to rid the tank of Nitrate. Could this minor difference be due to the +0.3 pH change?

I am also surprised I am not seeing any gain in Nitrate. It was building up faster before, so maybe I am finally at the end of the cycle.

Kevin

What's BS? Hm, that is weird. Do you have plants in the tank that may be utilizing the nitrates? Are you basically slamming the test bottles to loosen up any solidified crystals in the nitrate test? I'd say test it again making sure to shake and smack the hell out of the second nitrate solution bottle just to double check the results and then give it 24 hours and check it again. You're having the worst time with this cycle haha.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, I meant baking soda.

Shook the heck out of the test samples as instructions outlined, but no, I didn't "slam" the bottle of test fluid.

I will try that.

No plants.

Yeah, slamming it helps.

His were always reading 40ppm...so basically not giving an accurate reading. Here was what fixed his.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom