PVC-Base Rock Question.??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about using 2" PVC as my support for my live rock.......Is there any reason way I shouldnt use PVC........Can't seem to find any base rock in my area
TIA
Brian

whats the reason you're using it? if you just want to use it to prop up your LR to make it look fuller thats fine, but i don't think there's any specific advantages to having it... if that's what your asking.

Have you checked online? there's a few places that offer dry rock for a good price. http://www.Hirocks.com is one i hear mentioned often.

I have bought several times from hirocks.com. They also have ebay auctions. Just got 60 lbs shipped to my door for $86

Brenden said:
I have bought several times from hirocks.com. They also have ebay auctions. Just got 60 lbs shipped to my door for $86

Yes I have no problem ordering base rock off the net.....But im just using it to prop up my live rock in a 4" DSB.......the way Im looking at it is $86 bucks vers $2.59 for 12 2" couplings 3" high.........I guess Im asking is it safe to use on the tank floor.......or I could run down to the beach and grab about 10 pound of rock off the shore

I would not feel comfortable using PVC in my tank due to the weight of the rock. As long as you do not overload the PVC it should be fine.

Brenden said:
I would not feel comfortable using PVC in my tank due to the weight of the rock. As long as you do not overload the PVC it should be fine.

LOL.. most people dont need a half ton of rock either! :D

I wish i would have used pvc to prop up my rock as my gobies have almost buried some fist sized pieces.I have read that by using tubing it helps to cure some otherwise dead spots in the tank.

Brenden said:
You may want to put egg crate on top of the pvc to give you a firm flat area.

well all the PVC is in and the rock work also......I used 2" couplings....I used 12 coupling in a 36" tank so they spead out pretty much

You will have no problem using the PVC I use it under my rock and the crabs love it. the DSB in my tanks cover it so you can not see it but the crabs keep the ends dug out and stay in it when not feeding.

bamaboy2go said:
You will have no problem using the PVC I use it under my rock and the crabs love it. the DSB in my tanks cover it so you can not see it but the crabs keep the ends dug out and stay in it when not feeding.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom