PWC cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My parameters are in my second week of cycling with seeded filter:
Ammonia 1.0
NitrItes 5.0
NitrAtes 80.
pH dropped from 8.0 to 7.4

Should I be doing a PWC?

I would wait 24 hours and test again. Your ammonia should be 0 and then the question is do the nitrites rise or drop. You sure are spiking and are extremely close to done.

I would not dose more than 2 ppm ammonia from this point on. That will just make this cycle go on for ever.

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 8.8 or above
NitrAtes 160 or above

Should I be doing a water change?

Looks good, you processed 2ppm ammonia, the nitrites stayed the same which means the BB processed all the that extra ammonia and kept up. Go to 2-3 ppm ammonia again. I bet you get 0 ammonia again and that nitrite number starts to come down. You are extermely close, no need for a water change.

Redosed Ammonia yesterday to 4.0

Ammonia 0
NitrItes 5.0 looks a bit lighter than yesterday
NitrAtes > 160 looks a bit darker than yesterday

You were right Rich, NitrItes look to be dropping.

I guess I should redose again and wait for NitrItes to drop. Can the concentration of NitrAtes inhibit the growth of NitrIte eating bacteria?

I do think that is an issue at all. Add the ammonia and wait for tomorrow.I think by Monday you will be done. With that nitrate number you will want to do a 90% change then but for right now just stick to the path.

Back
Top Bottom