PWC / Temp range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwhite314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 30g FOWLR going since Sept--all is going great thanks to the info & advice I have found on this site.

I actually paid attention to the temperature during my last PWC. It went from 77.4 at the start to 72.2 when I was done. I am sure the PWC process puts some stress on the inhabitants, but is this amount of temp change something I should try to control better? I usually mix the sw a day or two in advance so by the time I used it, it is the room temp of the house--usually around 68 in winter. I change around 20% weekly.

You really don't want to see more then a 2 degree change in your water temp over 24 hours. I would suggest putting a heater in the container with your new SW to get it closer to your tank temp next time. This kind of stress can cause all kinds of issues. It's best to let the new SW mix for at least 24 hours and by using a power head to do this it will help bring the temp up.

Yup... agree with Ziggy - that much of a sudden swing is going to cause your inhabitants issues if you keep it up. Just a simple heater in the PWC bucket along with a cheap Coralife digital thermometer will enable you to match your main tank temperature. Use the same size heater in your bucket that you have in your tank - then you have an automatic "spare" heater in case you ever need it!

I agree with Allen and kurt. A heater will work wonders with your PWC water. Your tankmates will appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom