Pygmy/Dwarf Loach question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benandjon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello :)

So, a few weeks ago, I bought a dwarf loach because I was overrun with snails.... The LFS said they were a good option because I didn't want to get anything that was going to get too big?

Anyway he has done an amazing job, and 3 weeks later I have very few snails left.... However, my Shrimp population has disappeared too? I had 7 RCS and now can't see any?! Do you think the loach is the cause because I can't find bodies either???

You mean normally you can actually see all of your rcs? Not me. They are really good at hiding and it's possible they're just laying low.

If you run out of snails, the loach might go after the rcs. You should plan on giving him a high quality supplemental food source.

Also, loaches need to be kept in groups. Are you planning on getting more?

LyndaB said:
You mean normally you can actually see all of your rcs? Not me. They are really good at hiding and it's possible they're just laying low.

If you run out of snails, the loach might go after the rcs. You should plan on giving him a high quality supplemental food source.

Also, loaches need to be kept in groups. Are you planning on getting more?

Well usually I can see at least one, but for the last week I haven't seen any :-(

I bought food from the LFS for him but at the moment there are still snails (although dramatically less) and yes, he was introduced to 2 we friends yesterday and the 3 of them (bizarrely) seem to club with the Ottocinclus that are in there too... Perhaps because they all look vaguely similar?

Yeah, my oto's will shoal around with my pygmy and dwarf cories sometimes. Exactly what kind of loach is this pygmy/dwarf? I don't know of any of the smaller species that eat snails so I'm very curious.

Dwarf chain loaches eat snails? I've read they aren't and wouldn't expect it from a loach that size.

I just looked up what loach is commonly called a dwarf or pygmy, back to google i go!

Update after some googling! i found on a thread in The Planted Tank about using loaches and puffers to control snail populations, and one person said that chain loaches do in fact eat snails, by sucking them out of their shell

Lol no problem! I love playing Ace Ventura on google XD So much fun to investigate and research

I have no idea which breed they are but they've done a fantastic job (aside from the poor shrimp!) and they're really cute to watch.... When you see them, they spend alot of time hiding too which in my opinion makes them fun too??

Back
Top Bottom