Python hose tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've used my Python hose for thousands of water changes. Last night for the first time, a young adult fish (2.5 inch swordtail, one of my favorite fish) swam into the intake and was not able to swim out. It got mangled in the tube and killed before I could rescue it. In the past the adult fish were always able to escape.

Please do not make the same mistake as me. Google or search for "python claw" in Amazon. I had this product but didn't use it (I only used it for fry tanks). I will use it always in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear about your fish! Python accidents do happen.
I tend to keep mine down in the gravel as much as I can so that fish won't swim in.

I place my one of my nets over the intake.
Like you, I always assumed that any fish would be strong enough to swim away, but its a simple enough precaution. Its a bummer for sure.

Oh man I had that happen one time to one of my goldfish. A beautiful oranda decided to go into the pickup tube and as soon as he did, the suction ripped his gills right off of his body. It was horrible! Ever since, when there are curious fish, I always put a sponge in the pickup tube.

I wish someone had warned me before. I kept a very close eye the first few hundred times and became overconfident I guess. The sad thing is, my dad who has never used the python warned me about it last week when he saw me using it, but I just ignored his advice. Ugh...

The Python Claw product is really nice. The surface area of the strainer Claw is so large that small 1/2 inch fish can swim up to the opening and not get sucked to the strainer. Smaller fish (1/4 inch long) might fit through the slits of the strainer though.

If Im actually vacuuming gunk out, then I dont have the net on. I can physically see and prevent a fish from swimming up the hose. I just place it there if Im siphoning water out during normal PWCs so that I can walk away and not have to monitor things.

My fish fry are curious little critters that nibble at my hand while I'm siphoning, so I use a strainer for my fry tanks at all times.

The product is called Cleaning Claw and not Python Claw. It is not made by Pyhton but it fits python perfectly. Just wanted to clarify.

You guys are definitely not alone in this tragic situation. I have 2 Golden Dojo Loach and also got what quickly became my Favorite Weather Loach... The Weather Loach started Burying himself in the gravel and just having his head poking up...

Being very careful about the loach, I took out All of the decorations, and slowly started vacuuming the gravel. I had tried live plants and sunk a few Plant Tabs in the fine gravel. I since took out the live plants and switched to fake, but forgot about the tabs.

3/4 of the way across the tank, almost done, trying to keep an eye out for the buried loach, I hit one of the old Plant Tabs, which caused a Black Cloud in the Python Tube. Not wanting to have this in the tank, I pushed the tube back down and in the black swirl, I see a quick flash of my favorite loach as he zipped into the line.

I panicked and tried to reverse him back out into the tank.... As he got to the valve he got stuck and popped out... He was alive, but torn and broken.... I was Devistated!!! I ended up Euthanising him with Clove Oil... Hard to forgive myself, but it happened So Quick!

Thanks for warning us, this is good to know. I'll definitely be putting a net or something over the intake tube while doing water changes! Sorry for you loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Peace of Mind

I found the "Cleaning Claw" by "Lee's". You can get it on Drs Foster & Smith under "Lee's Ultimate GravelVac Kit". They sell the "Replacement Cleaning Claw" for $3.99. According to mattcham, it fits the Python. I think I will be getting myself one! A bit of Peace Of Mind during PWCs would be nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom