Python Water Changer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I am interested in buying a water changing system to eliminate my endless trips through the house with a bucket. From the reviews I've read online, the Python is a bit pricier than the Aqueon, but worth the money as it lasts longer and is less flimsy. I'm looking at a 25 or 50 foot Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System.
Is the Python truly a good investment? If you have one, please let me know if you like it and if it makes water changes easier on you.
One last question- is there any way to start the siphon without attatching it to the faucet? I've heard that wastes a lot of water.
Thanks,
DreamingInBlue

I'd like to hear opinions on this, as well. I have the Aqueon one and other than having an issue with it not fitting my sink faucet really well, I like it. However, a guy at my lfs has told me that they are really not the best things to use. When I asked him why (I have out-of-the-faucet water issues with ammonia coming straight from my faucet around .50 ppm) he told me that when you introduce water like that to the fish without letting it off-gas, you are literally "choking" the fish. I guess, by that, he meant that the ammonia is burning them. I also use Prime when I do water changes, but he still insisted that since I have ammonia coming out of my tap, I really should rely on the bucket method.

So, again, I'd like to see what kind of advice is given on this topic, as well.

I have had a python for 25 years; never used an aqueon. Basically all they are is a long plastic hose with a wider tube/funnel at the end. I don't see any difference.
I don't know how your house and tanks are arranged, but I siphon out tank water out a door into my landscaping, saving some water to water my house plants. I don't use the siphon because that wastes water. Gravity is all you need. To get the suction going, I fill the siphon end with tank water (over the tank) let it start running down the hose, and quickly put it back in the tank and the siphon will start. Alternatively you can suck on the downhill end of the house to get it started.
I'm on good well water so I just run water from a sink back into the tank to refill, watching the temperature as I go. If you have ammonia in your water source, you need to treat it. If you have room, get a water tank and treat the water before refilling the tank.

I'll give that a try. I'm excited to get a python and avoid spills and bucket hauling :lol:

I used to have to do the exact same thing you are doing. Using a bucket and making trips. On every website, the Python was rated the best so I bought the 50 foot one. I love it. Well worth the money, and saves time, and walking back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom