Python water changing device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferret_Friend

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I was reading an aquarium magazine that I purchased at my local pet store, and I noticed an ad for this water changing device that hooks up to the faucet of my sink and comes with up to 50 feet of hose, plus optional extensions for doing water changes.

Now, I'm rather lazy, and my life has become a lot more hectic (got married and bought a new house last month), so water changes are not getting done as often as they should, especially given how overstocked my tank currently is.

Have any of you used this thing, and if so, how much do they typically cost? If all I have to do is hook the hose up to my faucet and I can do water changes without involving any buckets, I would be able to do them much more often. Instead of it taking a half an hour or more of my time to do one with a bucket, I could do one in ten minutes.

Does anyone here have experience with these devices? Are they too good to be true?

They are great to have. I wouldn't be in the hobby without one. There are several threads about them on the first couple of pages of the forum alone. If you do a search, you will come up with dozens of threads about pythons on this board. I would recommend them for anybody with multiple tanks or a tank larger than 10 gallons. For your 29 (which is very overstocked, BTW), I would definitely recommend it.

I've used one for almost 10 years now.

They are as good as advertised. You'll wish you got one long ago. ;) Aside from making it faster...it makes it less messy too as you won't spill water all over the place. Faster & cleaner? Sounds too good to be true...which is why its so awesome :D

There are _tons_ of discussions about the python, some of them fairly recent. Just do a quick search and you will see all sorts of opinions and tips.

There are several threads about them on the first couple of pages of the forum alone.

Yeah, after I posted, I really started looking around and I noticed all the threads on it. If a moderator wants to, this thread can be locked. Between these few posts and the other threads I've looked at, I've found my answer.

The search tool is your friend!

The Python is a great tool. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to do a water change in my 29g, including vacuuming the sand.

I'd say it's a necessity for anything >10 gallons, or if you have multiple 10 gallon tanks.

It makes PWCs so much easier, and since they're easier you'll do them more often.

The Python is a great tool. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to do a water change in my 29g, including vacuuming the sand.

Then it should take me only 10 minutes. I don't have any gravel or sand in my tank. I've found that since I got rid of the substrate, I have far less uneaten food in teh tank, and I haven't had a single fish death related to poor water since. I have had a few due to hungry Red Devils, but hey... that happens.

Back
Top Bottom