Q and A Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cturtlesrck

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK so I have a freshie tank 3 actually but there are nothing special , I have been reading quite a bit and as some of you know I have a interest in starting a sw tank . Now in reading here I have a couple questions ..
1.) I would like to improve on my freshie tanks right .. well I read something tonight about tropical fish in a freshie tank?? OK please don't laugh but I thought sw fish were tropical .. is there a difference?
2.)For a reef tank.. Live rock and Live sand ?? Can you just tell me a little more about the benefits or direct me somewhere , with laymens terms please I am haveing to use the index alot till i get a hang of the lingo :oops:
ok that is it for now... More to come .. I am sure

I would like to improve on my freshie tanks right .. well I read something tonight about tropical fish in a freshie tank?? OK please don't laugh but I thought sw fish were tropical .. is there a difference?

SW fish are tropical, at least some are, as are some FW fish. Tropical would refer more to a temperature range than a specific type of fish.

For a reef tank.. Live rock and Live sand ?? Can you just tell me a little more about the benefits or direct me somewhere , with laymens terms please I am haveing to use the index alot till i get a hang of the lingo
ok that is it for now... More to come .. I am sure

There is alot of info covered in the articles section http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

ty next question... Anenome's .. what are they fish , plant, animal,or just a really cool critter and do they eat ??

Anenome's .. what are they fish , plant, animal,or just a really cool critter

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Cnidaria (Coelenterata)
Class: Anthozoa
Order: Actiniaria

and do they eat ??

Yes, anemones capture prey in their tentacles which sting the prey using nemtocysts which paralyze the prey and then they are ingested whole :wink:

Just to add a bit - anemones are most often photosynthetic (as well as having the ability to capture prey). Being photosynthetic, they also derive a lot of their "food" from light, and in order for one to thrive in captivity, they need to be housed in a tank with substantial lighting (strong PC [power compact] at a bare miniumum, MH [metal halide] lighting is preferable).

HTH,

I have a tank rased bubble tip in a 20 gal HIGH tank with two 55W PC bulbs over it and I feel its slightly under lit.

The tenticles on it are elongated and thats what I am bassing it upon. I feed it directly small krill as well as thawed chunks of my blender mush every few days.

Last night was the first time I witnessed my maroon clown acutally 'feeding' the anenome. Usually i jab the krill on a toothpick and put it down in the tenticles till they grab the krill and it sticks so well it comes off the toothpick. But last night the maroon attacked the krill and pulled it off the toothpick and then took it down to the anenome and put it in the tenticles.

Anenomes are also creatures that are not recommended for the beginner hobbists. In fact I would not even have one unless someone local to me had an abundance of tank split bubble tips and had given me one under the agreement that if it did not do well he would take it back.

While anemonies, most of them, are photosynthetic, they do not live off of the light itself. The light is food for the algae called "zooxanthellae" which in turn feeds the anemone. It one of those symbiotic relationships that ocean life is so abundantly blessed with...

I have kept anemonies since my tank was cycled. I lost 2 of them due to damage from the LFS to the foot, and 2 of them due to warfare in the tank...One anemone eating the other. Wild show...I wish I had a video of it... I now own a CurlyQue, Atlantic Carpet, Flower Anemone, and 2 Atlantic Stinging Anemonies ( they are carnivores ). I feed all of them pieces of shrimp once every 2 weeks and they are thriving... I will admit that my tank does not sway too far from what I would consider to be normal in the parameters..

Oh yeah, I did as much reading on them as I could before I decided to have them...

thanks wasn't wanting to get one just yet ,just trying to learn the in's and out's ... I am glad I found ya'll ... I had to buy another notebook today!! my hand hurts . HEHEHEE

Back
Top Bottom