Q's: changing filter in 5 gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I need to change the filter in my daughter's betta tank and want to make sure I'm doing this properly.

We have a 5.5 gallon, Top Fin starter kit with power filter (the carbon bag). The tank has 1 male betta, 1 moss ball, 1 plant, 2 ornaments, gravel and a heater. It's been cycled for about 5 weeks.

After googling around, I think I should insert the new filter along with a portion of the old one. Two filters will not fit in there together, unfortunately.

I was going to remove the carbon from the old filter (it has a hole in it anyway), cut a piece from that mesh bag, and insert the piece behind the new filter. Will that work??

I am also thinking about switching to an Aquaclear 20 filter because it has 3 stage of filtration so something is always in place during a change.
Is the Aquaclear 20 any better than my current setup?

Thanks so much!

Aqua clear 20 is amazing I just switched to one for my. 10 gallon tank anything is pretty much better then top fin in my eyes!

I imagine you are afraid of losing your beneficial bacteria. If your tank is cycled already then you have bacteria all in your tank, your water, rocks/sand. So just replace the filter and new BB will start to form in your new filter.

Just make sure you rinse the new filter in conditioned water before putting the filter in.

Hope this helps.

I'd use as much of the media from the current filter as you can fit into the new filter. Test the water daily after the change to ensure that there aren't any temporary spikes (if there is, just do some extra water changes).

I used to do that with my top fin filter. I will remove the carbon and use the entire mesh bag.

For a week or so. But now, I use sponge filter for one my betta tank since they dont like strong/ none water current.

Back
Top Bottom