QT question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
for quarentine, would it be okay to use ammochips? because some people cycle their tank every time they treat it, but i dont see the use since you'll have to cycle it again if you have to treat something.

I have never used ammochips so I am not sure how well they work. Using some established filter media from your main tank is probably the way I would go. I know some people have an extra filter on their main tanks especially for that reason.
Also with some meds, you are doing daily water changes any way.

I'm not sure what to recommend here. I break down my quarantine tank between uses and get a filter sponge from an established tank to jumpstart the biological filter.

I have no idea what ammochips are but I have a qt question of my own. I want to fill up my qt tank but have no extra media in the main tank. I have a sponge filter for the qt tank so i just stuck it on the end of the powerfilter in my main tank. How long will it take for the bacteria to grow in the sponge??

Im not sure. probably a few days?? What I did for my mom when she set up her tank was take some gravel from one of my tanks and I put it into a media bag and put that in her filter. It would at least be a start.

obedey - A week will get the sponge seeded but that does not mean that the bacteria population will be very high.

Danny- You could try it and see how it works. Report back and see if the Ammonia chips actually keep the levels low while QT'ing.

The ammino chips sounds like a good idea.. try it out!(y)
Im guessing your thinking of a hospital tank not a QT exactly right?

maybe..

i had some feeder crayfish and some feeder whtie clouds in a icebox (like 15 gallons). i put some sand in there and put a corner filter (the plastic crappy kind) runned by an air pump with some floss and some ammo chips. the crayfish survived about a year with no waterchanges and fish flakes. i ended taking the white clouds out and putting them in my 29 gallon and their going in my ponds soon. so...

Back
Top Bottom