QT Tank - has worms???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Last Friday I setup a QT for my B. Rainbow (See thread in unhealthy fish for pics and reasons why if curious). I had previously had the media for the HOB for this tank in my main tanks canister being seeded in preps for what this tank is ultimately destined for. Using that media, as well as a handful of the ceramic rings from my main tank, I started up this QT and immediately put the fish in. On day 2 or 3 I saw an ammo "spike" to 0.1ppm ammonia, then it zeroed back out. Never seen any NO2 at all, and NO3 has maintained under 10ppm. I've been treating multiple things, the fungus from the thread, with Pimafix and Melafix, as well as treating Ick with heightened temperatures (87°).

So that's the background. Today, I'm noticing for the first time (not sure if they were there before today or not) hundreds of tiny white "worms" crawling the glass. They're small, I'd say 1 to 3mm long, and less than 1mm round, but they're everywhere, and they move around crawling like a worm.

What are they? Do I need to do anything about it?

I believe I have those in my tanks sometimes, and from what others have said they generally aren't a problem. I usually seem them after water change if I haven't been consitent with them and then they seem to disappear or their is huge reduction in numbers after a few hours. Try doing a couple water changes with in the week and that should help get rid of them, also fresh water will be good for the fish. I can't recall what they were called also.

I would bet that it is planaria, not harmful. Water changes and cutting back on the feedings will get rid of them.

I agree with Zagz...sounds just like planaria. I have had those one time in 8 years and they do indeed go away on their own...just like the diatoms I have in my tropical tank right now...lol!

Planaria are always in our fishtanks, we just never see them until their numbers get really large. I agree with Zagz and locorosa...cut back feedings they should go away. Look at it as free food.

Well I did not know they are always around...hmmm, learn something new everyday!

Back
Top Bottom