QT Tank quandry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought four Guppies ten days ago. They were sold as fancy guppies, but they were essentially feeders that ended up with some color. I picked three females and a male that "looked" healthy and put all four in a cycled 6 gallon Eclipse. At day six the male was trailing a poop that was twice his own length and hair thin. This was the first sign of trouble with any of the fish. The next day afterwork he was dead, and one of the females had an open sore on her back as well as most of her tail missing. I had been watching all the fish for illness and other than seeming a little lethargic there were no visible symptoms prior to this. When I discovered the dead male water quality was 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. I did a 50% water change and began a melafix treatment three days ago. Water parameters are the same today. The very sick female hasn't seemed to have gotten worse, tail is still a mess, back sore may be a little better, and still lethargic. One of the others is still acting lethargic, but they will both arrive at chow time and eat. The fourth female is fine, swims about the tank, darts around, fins are fine etc. I was leaving her in there to be sure. I dont want to screw up the main tank over a feeder guppy, but tonight I noticed her harrassing the sick fish. She was nipping at her sides and tail, and racing across the tank to crash into her. I cant see the sick fish getting better this way, but I am not sure enough to put the seemingly healthy fish in the main tank, where she would be the only guppy btw. Am I being overly cautious? What would others do?

In case they have internal parasites, I wouldn't put her in the bigger tank. Is there any way you can divide the tank?

Back
Top Bottom