QT Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what exactly is the purpose of a QT tank and how does it really work?

i know when you get new fish its advised to keep them in the tank for 2-3 weeks but what exactly does it do?

Its another tank that you keep with a lot better conditions. Also, i heard 29 gallons is the appropriate size for it.
It has heating, light and keeps the fish secure and alone while he's being treated. Right now, i'm using my empty 20 gallon tank as a qt tank.

yea i just picked up a 20L. do the new fish tend to develop sickness because of the transition of environments? i can't figure out how to ask the question i'm really trying to ask..

i kinda understand that you want the QT tank so if something does pop up in a new fish its in a contained situation and not in your main tank.

but how do you know that the illness would show? does the chemincal change in water (pH, Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate) usually cause an issue to become more present if it even exists to begin with?

i'm not entirely sure that was my actually question but maybe the answers will help me narrow it down or answer it by chance.

Edit- is 2-3 weeks a good QT lenght?

yea i just picked up a 20L. do the new fish tend to develop sickness because of the transition of environments? i can't figure out how to ask the question i'm really trying to ask..

i kinda understand that you want the QT tank so if something does pop up in a new fish its in a contained situation and not in your main tank.

but how do you know that the illness would show? does the chemincal change in water (pH, Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate) usually cause an issue to become more present if it even exists to begin with?

i'm not entirely sure that was my actually question but maybe the answers will help me narrow it down or answer it by chance.

Basically, a QT tank is for any disease or illness you're fish has. If he has parasites, fungus, ect...
I don't understand the 2-3 weeks thing:3

Yes, that is a good length of time. I also think u answered ur question (I may have misunderstood tho?) your new fish go into ur QT tank when you get them so if illness, unusual behaviour etc. becomes apparent it won't infiltrate you established tank and wipe out all of ur fish!! Also if empty, you can use as a hospital tank to isolate and treat any of your fish that become ill. Hope this helps, just my opinion from reading other threads on here :)

Here is a good example I have a 75 gallon mail tank with angels and clownloaches I decided to add some rainbows from a chain store Well 2 weeks later all my stock had ich If i had qt them for say 3 weeks it would have shown up as white spots on the rain bows and i could have treated them in th 10 gallon and not the main tank. Most meds are so much per gallon so 1 treatment in the 75 = about 7 treatments in the 10 gallon. Also the clown loaches are verry sensitive to meds and cant handle the full treatment. If one fish shows ich in a tank the whole tank is infected.
I would sugest 3 weeks for qt.
Hope this helps.

Here is a good example I have a 75 gallon mail tank with angels and clownloaches I decided to add some rainbows from a chain store Well 2 weeks later all my stock had ich If i had qt them for say 3 weeks it would have shown up as white spots on the rain bows and i could have treated them in th 10 gallon and not the main tank. Most meds are so much per gallon so 1 treatment in the 75 = about 7 treatments in the 10 gallon. Also the clown loaches are verry sensitive to meds and cant handle the full treatment. If one fish shows ich in a tank the whole tank is infected.
I would sugest 3 weeks for qt.
Hope this helps.
Why did you qt the fish ? You should keep them in the tank and med them exept for the clown fish:3

Lol so many mixed opinions... from what i understand you put new fish in the qt tank for 2-3 weeks to see if illnesses pop up but when not used as a qt can be used as a med tank for surprise issue that arise...

But feel free to correct me if im wrong :)

Lol so many mixed opinions... from what i understand you put new fish in the qt tank for 2-3 weeks to see if illnesses pop up but when not used as a qt can be used as a med tank for surprise issue that arise...

But feel free to correct me if im wrong :)

Exactly!! :-D

Ok good but if I could go back to my original question... what causes an illness to pop up during the qt time assuming there is one?

They may have something already and this just gives time to show up...however some fish become stressed during a move and become more susceptible to illness. Their ability to fight off parasites etc. is weakened by stress (the move and sudden changes in water conditions can cause stress) many parasites and bugs live in and around fish but when their immune systems are lowered by stress they can take over and make your fish sick :-( this is my understanding anyway!

Also a lot of the stores use a central filtration system so if I holding tank has a disease it can be passed to the other fish. In the early stage there may be no visable signs.

Back
Top Bottom