QT White poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so I had a massive die off. Thanks to city water causing a mini cycle. Well I am in mini cycle on my main tank. I had two panda cories pass away and the pet store has a policy I could only get replacements. So, Now I have a QT tank. I placed the two new cories which are HUGE compared to the ones I had before. My question, the second day. I woke in the morning to do a water change and noticed white stringy poop. I'm not sure which cory did it, but they seem active. Oh and of course they just arrived in the store, that hour which I picked them up. In my QT I have one small baby molly fry, and two panda cories. I had the molly fry in there because I wanted to keep my BB alive. QT tank 1/2 aquarium water 1/2 new water. About to do a water change on it.

When do I worry about parasites? treatment? Today is day 3 and didn't see any new poo yet.

Umm I'd worry about parasites now. Get the internal parasite medicine, treat the tank with only half the recommended amount of the dose suggested. This is because Cories are scaleless fish and it can harm them. I just had this in my tank but all is fine now.

Okay

I happened in on them today and everyone is doing well. all normal, poop. I methylene blue dip all my fish, I love the stuff. also it happens to highlight anything a miss with my fish.
Thank you so much, I was mainly wondering what caused it. I'll pick up some meds in the afternoon when I get off work. I think the white poo might also have been caused by the lovely way they were handled getting to the store. Better safe than sorry.

update

Everything is not well, okay. so changing the water and notice a little white fraying at the ends of the dorsal fins. I only noticed this because I turned out the lights grabbed a flashlight and looked at them. It appears to be fin rot. I have been dipping my fish the day after they arrived. now the new plan is to dip for 30 minutes and treating their tank with pimafix for 7 days. I can't tell whether it is fin rot or beginning of body fungus. only effecting the fins and maybe the body.

Symptoms: Lethargy, eating but only after lights out. Red streaks perhaps on the tail fin. Curious the Cory fry that is with them no signs of fungus, only a split tail but no fuzz. The damaged area appears fuzzy the "spots" afflicted are the pectoral fins very tiny, and the dorsal fin more largely but only seen with flashlight. anything else you think I could be doing?

Changed all the water, scrubbed down the tank , all new chlorinated water. Plan on keeping them in the tank dosing for 7 days, plus meth baths every other day for 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom