Quantity of Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Being new to the hobby, what I am still not quite clear on is how much Prime to add when doing water changes. The instructions say 1 capful for 50gals. So when doing water changes, do you add for the amount of your actual water change to for the capacity of the entire tank? I am adding/conditioning water before pouring it into the tank.

You add the prime according the amount of water going in the tank. So if you were going to add 25 gallons of water to a tank, you would put in half a capful of Prime.

If you are adding directly to the tank treat for the whole tank. If you are treating the replacement water before adding treat for thr amount in the container .

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks all, this was very helpful. Do most people add prime to the container before putting it into the tank? I assumed so since I would want to be adding only conditioned water. That said, in which instances would you need to add it to the tank directly? I'm cycling a 36 gallon and still learning the ropes!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bottle says you could add it either way. I like adding it to the bucket of water before adding it to the tank. Just to be on the safe side.

That is what I assumed but it's obviously more meticulous to measure the right amount for let's say four to five gallons of water used in a water change. This reduces the quantity of Prime to just a few drops in just the bottom of the cap. That's what threw me I think. It just seemed odd that such a little bit of product was so effective for so much water!

I add a few drops (or whatever is the dosage) to the 5 gallon bucket as it is filling.
Note to self: don't put the bottle of prime where you typically store the glut/excel. I was measuring out 8-10 mLs what I thought was glut but was actually prime. This is for a 20g tank. Realized the mistake after I added it and did a large water change just in case.

Thanks for the help all. This really answers my questions. Just trying to make it successfully thru cycling!

I add a few drops (or whatever is the dosage) to the 5 gallon bucket as it is filling.
Note to self: don't put the bottle of prime where you typically store the glut/excel. I was measuring out 8-10 mLs what I thought was glut but was actually prime. This is for a 20g tank. Realized the mistake after I added it and did a large water change just in case.

My 10g tank gets 10mL of glut daily :)

Thanks for the help all. This really answers my questions. Just trying to make it successfully thru cycling!

Really the only time that people add the prime to their tanks instead of the water before it goes into the tank is when they use a water changer to remove water directly from the tank and put it back in directly from the faucet. In that case you dose the entire tank volume of prime.

Back
Top Bottom