Quarantine new snails/shrimp? Or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting an assassin snail tomorrow to combat my pond/bladder snail problem, but was wondering it's advised to quarantine first? I'm definitely going to quarantine any new fish, but not sure if I should be concerned with new snails or shrimp. Thanks!

That's actually a really good question. I'm curious how people will answer.

Myself I quarantine fish but I've never quarantined invertebrates.

Caleb

I never have BUT a guy kinda local to me who bred shrimp to sell bought some new shrimp from another guy and what do you know? All the old shrimp and new shrimp got wiped out. The local guy thinks the new shrimp were carrying something as he's been breeding shrimp for years and never had a problem before. I don't however think that inverts and fish can swap diseases. But I've been wrong before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would quarantine new shrimp.
Firstly to check that they are indeed healthy and feeding well.
Secondly to condition the shrimp, a well fed shrimp can last for days in the main tank until he starts to find his food source.
Thirdly I like to observe my new purchases for a few weeks in a tank that I easily them. I enjoy my QT just as much as my main tank.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

I don't qt inverts because there isn't anything they can pass to fish that will kill the fish.
If I had a shrimp only tank then I would qt new inverts because the new inverts might pass something to the existing shrimp. Just my $.02

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom