Quarantine tank q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am confused with what to or not to have with my Quarantine. Should I have a substrate, or just a bare bottom. Should I have hiding places. I noticed in the past the fish woild not come ouy to eat because they were un aware of being fed.

Also, I am going to upgrade my qt from a 10g to a 20g long for more space. I have a filter that runs 200gph so I will have plenty of filtration, but also a sponge filter. How many gph should I have. Should I cycle the tank more than 10 times an hour?

And when I get a hood and light for my 20 gallon, Should I look into bright, or darker lighting.

Thanks.

Substrate is not necessary. Easier to clean a bare bottom. If the fish species is one that needs hiding places, then provide them, but it need not be rock or wood. It can be a simple, clean clay flower pot or pieces of PVC pipe of appropriate size for the fish being quarantined.

Sponge filters are great, and might be all that some fish need. How much circulation depends in some part on the fish too. Some species like quiet water, others need current to be happy. So long as the filter is adequately sized for the tank, it should be fine, and if the species needs it very quiet, go with just the sponge.

Bright light is also not needed. You won't have live plants, so just enough to view the fish properly is all you need. A timer is useful to keep regular day/night cycles. If the fish are shy, you might want lower light levels, more hiding places, or perhaps something floating to shade the tank. A bit of foam sheet or something like that would do if needed.

Mainly a QT needs to be easily cleaned and maintained, so that if a new fish turns out to have parasites or illness, you can treat for whatever it is easily, and be able to later sanitize the tank and it's contents if that's necessary.

If the fish are a species where males may spar or fight, some plastic plants or ceramic decor can provide the broken up sight lines that will help to reduce sparring or fighting, and still be easy to clean.

Fish fur is correct, I usually tell people the best and usually only needed size quarantine tank is a 10 gallon. Mine has a lot of PVC piping, pots and a few plants, it's not an eye sore it's certainly not a show tank but it gets the job done. No substrate though and a sponge filter and a heater. I did put more stuff In my quarantine tank than most people do, I mean the poor little fish are sick might as well try and make em happy and relaxed.

Fish fur is correct, I usually tell people the best and usually only needed size quarantine tank is a 10 gallon. Mine has a lot of PVC piping, pots and a few plants, it's not an eye sore it's certainly not a show tank but it gets the job done. No substrate though and a sponge filter and a heater. I did put more stuff In my quarantine tank than most people do, I mean the poor little fish are sick might as well try and make em happy and relaxed.

Went to petco with the mother today for the $ per gallon sale. She didn't want to spend the money because a qt tank is useless. And I don't have any fish in it anyway. This was after she bought my sisters 3 pairs of $80 plus designer jeans for 13 year olds.

Yes well quarantine tanks are something you need. If one fish gets infected with let's say ick for lack of a better example. You need to quarantine it to prevent it from spreading. Although ick, once you see the white spots, usually has already infected every fish.

Yes well quarantine tanks are something you need. If one fish gets infected with let's say ick for lack of a better example. You need to quarantine it to prevent it from spreading. Although ick, once you see the white spots, usually has already infected every fish.

Exactly. She doesn't understand. Normally she does. And I would have bought it if I would have brought my wallet. We went shopping for clothes. And my sister's spent $250 more than I did. I bought a pair of jeans. And two shirts. And I can't get a $20 fish tank.

Hahaha, well just keep on top the water changes and make sure the levels are ok and nothing should happen. You can also add aquarium salt to make sure nothing happens but That's just another precaution, with regular water changes all should be ok

Hahaha, well just keep on top the water changes and make sure the levels are ok and nothing should happen. You can also add aquarium salt to make sure nothing happens but That's just another precaution, with regular water changes all should be ok

I am thinking about taking down my qt and using that filter with my main tank. Then when I need to use the qt Add 50% water from the original tank. And 50% new water on top of using the filter that already has lots of bb. I could also use the sponge filter for both.

A QT is well worth it. I have a 10 gal QT.

I brought home 7 rummy nose tetras and properly handled and acclimated them 1.5 weeks ago. 3 died in the first 24 hours. 2 more died subsequently. I have 2 left. I've been battling visible ich for a week. And none of this has happened to my healthy happy fish and plants in my display tank.

Back
Top Bottom