Quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should I set up a quarantine tank, for any sick fish and possibly to grow some plants in also???
What is he purpose of a quarantine tank???

It is advised to have QT tank so you can separate sick fish for treatment and quarantine new fish to prevent the new fish possibly infecting existing fish. It does not need to be set up all the time. You can run an extra filter on your main tank to keep it seeded then just move it across to the QT when needed. The QT can be any large container or tub. It does not need to be a glass tank. I use a 50L and a 20L storage container for mine.

You can run an extra filter on your main tank to keep it seeded then just move it across to the QT when needed.

Thanks for this. (y) I wasn't sure how to instantly setup a cycled QT tank.

I don't currently have room for another filter on my built-in tank. Currently have an FX5. I'll need to find a different way to seed a QT filter.

Ardynas said:
Thanks for this. (y) I wasn't sure how to instantly setup a cycled QT tank.

I don't currently have room for another filter on my built-in tank. Currently have an FX5. I'll need to find a different way to seed a QT filter.

I grab a handful of biomedia from a canister and put it into the newly set up filter on the QT. Works just as well.

I grab a handful of biomedia from a canister and put it into the newly set up filter on the QT. Works just as well.

That's perfect! Do you use water from your main tank to fill the QT so it's a clone or do you use treated tap?

Ardynas said:
That's perfect! Do you use water from your main tank to fill the QT so it's a clone or do you use treated tap?

Yep. Fill the QT with tank water and top the main tank off with fresh. That way i can move the fish straight over without acclimating. I then do PWC as needed with fresh water on the QT. The fish will then need to be acclimated back to the main tank at the end of quarantine.

Yep. Fill the QT with tank water and top the main tank off with fresh. That way i can move the fish straight over without acclimating. I then do PWC as needed with fresh water on the QT. The fish will then need to be acclimated back to the main tank at the end of quarantine.

Thanks Mumma for explaining that. Very logical. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom