Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murph3400

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for suggestions to set up quarentine tank. Whats the best size tank and what should be in the tank filterwise, substrate or nothing? Etc.

The size of the tank depends what you are trying to qt.

I like hob filters for qt tanks unless the fish need low flow conditions in which case I would use sponge filters. Both are easy to clean and sterilize.

The likelihood of needing to sterilize is much higher with a qt tank so I put as little in it as possible. No substrate, no decorations. You need to be able to closely observe fish in qt.

I agree with Dalto except for the decor. What dalto described was more a hospital tank than a quarantine tank. Hospital tanks should have little in them that can absorb medications or displace water volume. Quarantine tanks are more for observation. Depending on what you are quarantining for, the decor needs to be one that will help the new fish feel more comfortable in while adjusting to new surroundings, feeding and light schedules, transit from place to home, etc. I still prefer to have this bare bottom so that should the fish expel something ( ie intestinal worm or parasite), it will have no place to hide and can be more easily seen. If you are using QT for a post hospital tank visit, I prefer to use sponge filters as the fish might sometimes be weak from treatment and HOBs can be too much water flow. Air driven sponge filters can be adjusted to levels more comfortable to the resting fish while still maintaining biological filtration.
And, as previously mentioned, the size of the QT tank is dependent on the size of the fish going into it. Bigger or more fish should be in larger tanks. Small or few fish can be kept in a smaller tank as it's only temporary.
Hope this helps (y)

Say like two appistos prior to going into ho.e tank. Trying to prepare

A standard 10g would be fine.

If they are large enough to spawn avoid putting any kind of caves or cave like structures unless you want your qt tank to be a fry grow-out tank as moving new apisto fry is not fun since they are so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom