Quarentine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Amber...the Articles section at the top right links may have a variety of stuff that will give you answers, or more questions :) .

Here is one specifically on .... Quarantine

Ok, I read the article but I still have a question. What if you dont have any fish in your tank at all. Can it be the QT tank for starters since there is nothing in their for them to infect? And what if your filtration system doesent have a sump. Keep in mind tank is not set up I am just doing research. 8)

Thanks,
Amber

Can it be the QT tank for starters since there is nothing in their for them to infect?

If i understand this right, your asking if your main tank has no fish in it, can it be used to QT the first batch of fish??

While it is possible i would reccomend against it, only because say the fish have a disease such as ich, it will multiply in the tank and spread, and one of the common treatments is copper, now if you add copper to it , the whole tank has copper and you might never get to add any inverts to it because copper stays in for a long long time.
Another downside, is if the fish do have a disease you have to treat way more water then if you put them in a small QT tank, which means way more money, i've learned from experience trying to treat ich, the QT tank is the better method by far.

And what if your filtration system doesent have a sump.
A sump isn't necessary for all tanks. I'm not sure what you were asking, if you add some more details id be glad to help.

:lol:

As far as the sump question goes I pulled this from the article
Purchase a sponge filter and air pump (filter cost around $8.00 air pump around $6.00). After you find the fish you want, place a deposit on it and begin running the sponge filter in your sump in the display tank for the week prior to picking up your new fish.
And the question was what if you dont purcahse a sump system for your tank.

then you have to put it in the tank for a week. if you have a sump ( mot of the time they are under the tank in the stand) you will not have to look at the filter. but if you do not have a sump you will have to look at it for a week before you put it in the q tank

One of the concepts with a qt tank is you can dose the tank with meds if neeed be. Its advisable at all costs to avoid adding medications to your display tank because certin meds can be picked up by the silicon or anything else in the tank and then slowly release it over time causing potental problems.

yea the only advantage with the sump is like warorks said, if you have a sump you don't have to look at the sponge filter when it collects bacteria, not that big of a deal though if you have rocks in your tank you could toss it behind there so its not right out front.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom