Question about a new filter I got?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so any filter I've ever had has come with the filter of course which has the carbon in the pad...and a black square thing. I don't know what that's called. It's just this rough black square that has always come with every one of my fish filters. Well I got a new filter kit and it came with everything except for the black square pad thing (again sorry I don't know what it's called) Just wondering if anyone knows what that thing is called and if it's okay that my new filter didn't come with one. Are they necessary? BTW my new filter is a top fin 60. I have a 55 gallon tank. Thanks!

Helloelliee said:
Okay so any filter I've ever had has come with the filter of course which has the carbon in the pad...and a black square thing. I don't know what that's called. It's just this rough black square that has always come with every one of my fish filters. Well I got a new filter kit and it came with everything except for the black square pad thing (again sorry I don't know what it's called) Just wondering if anyone knows what that thing is called and if it's okay that my new filter didn't come with one. Are they necessary? BTW my new filter is a top fin 60. I have a 55 gallon tank. Thanks![/QUOTE

We all call it the filter media and u don't need the carbon but u do need the blue cotton stuff to grow bacteria on.

The "black square" is not necessary, it is good because it stores the good bacteria when you change the filter, but if you change the filters one side at a time, then you should be fine.

Thanks everyone! I'm actually already cycled..I've been wondering about this for a while now and just kept forgetting to ask lol

Back
Top Bottom