Question about breeding mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MOOGLY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi this is my first post on this forum my wife and I have had fish tanks off and on for about 8 years now.

The question is we are pretty sure we seen our Mollies courting this evening and we are wondering how long it takes from that point to start seeing her deliver the fry we have other fish in the Tank and want to be prepared to move them or watch for fry at least when needed.

does anyone know ? also how many fry can we expect ? we have bred them in the past but lost most to Angel fish we had at the time so we never really knew.

thanks

I should mention I did a search first and couldn't seem to find any info on this from before.

thanks again

there should be a gravid spot. when it looks like a square instead of a circle than expect fry in the current week. the fry range from 3 to 20+. not sure what the maxium is. everytime your molly delivers it should be a little more. the average i been geting it about 10-15 fry every month.

Rice said:
there should be a gravid spot. when it looks like a square instead of a circle than expect fry in the current week. the fry range from 3 to 20+. not sure what the maxium is.

About 125 for large sailfin mollies. I have 4 trios of breeding mollies and typically see 30-80 fry per litter. Some species of molly average smaller litters....6-20 fry per litter.

Gestational period for most molly species is 20-30 days.

I can expect a new liter every 30 days and the quantity is always larger each time.....started with 3 now up to about 30.....good thing my roomies Oscar loves to make a meal out of these little guys!

Back
Top Bottom