Question about breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read and told that for a tank with frys having a sponge filter is the best option. My question is this will be enough to filter the aquarium?

Also i read here people saying to not use substrate, it is bad to add to the tank? I would prefer to add , just for the looks.

Sponge filters come in a variety of sizes. Depends on the filter and the size of the tank.
One advantage of no gravel is that during water changes you should be able to siphon out waste on the bottom. This will go a long way in maintaining decent water quality. Sometimes extra food and dead fry can get trapped in the substrate. No substrate means you will be able to see if you are over feeding or if any fry have died.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sponge filters come in a variety of sizes. Depends on the filter and the size of the tank.
One advantage of no gravel is that during water changes you should be able to siphon out waste on the bottom. This will go a long way in maintaining decent water quality. Sometimes extra food and dead fry can get trapped in the substrate. No substrate means you will be able to see if you are over feeding or if any fry have died.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
It will be a 10g tank and about the filter I was thinking on a Hydro II Sponge Pro filter but I wanted to clarify a few doubts before buying. I also plan to put the some low light plants. I understand why no gravel but I was thinking in a good looking black sand or whatever is call, just by the looks. Every time I search on the forum I learn new things but also got sometimes confuse like in this time. Thanks for the help.

I think a lot has to do with personal preference, not that there's any one right way to set up a breeding tank.

I have 2 breeding tanks, both are 10g. The first is for Endlers, has a small-grain gravel substrate, HOB filter with intake cover, lots of plants:

img_3267946_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

The second is for least killifish and RCS. Sand substrate, plants, and no tech (no filter, no heater, no light):

img_3267946_1_6ce2eaa2e8d2de40f90dee80c6e12ac4.jpg

I think a lot has to do with personal preference, not that there's any one right way to set up a breeding tank.

I have 2 breeding tanks, both are 10g. The first is for Endlers, has a small-grain gravel substrate, HOB filter with intake cover, lots of plants:

img_3267949_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

The second is for least killifish and RCS. Sand substrate, plants, and no tech (no filter, no heater, no light):

img_3267949_1_6ce2eaa2e8d2de40f90dee80c6e12ac4.jpg

Nice! so is possible to use a hub filter without damaging the frys. This will be a silly question but with which of tanks you prefer more?.

Nice! so is possible to use a hub filter without damaging the frys. This will be a silly question but with which of tanks you prefer more?.

I use these filter guards. If you're handy you could probably make your own.

Don't think I like one tank more; kind of like comparing apples to oranges!

I have read and told that for a tank with frys having a sponge filter is the best option. My question is this will be enough to filter the aquarium?

Also i read here people saying to not use substrate, it is bad to add to the tank? I would prefer to add , just for the looks.

It really depends more on the type of fry you are raising. Livebearer fry do okay in tanks with gravel and decor as they stay closer to the surface for feeding and hiding. Other types of fish, say Barb and Tetra fry will do better in a heavily planted hatchery tank as they feed on the infusoria that are commonly found on the plants. The catch with this is that the eggs of Tetras are sensitive to light so you need to accept that if you are doing these, you may lose your plants. Then there are fish like the Cichlids ( SA & CA) which will do best in empty tanks so the fry have a better chance of finding the food you supply and it has no chance of hiding in the substrate and dying and polluting the water. African Cichlid fry are a toss up (IMO). Some of the fish are mouth brooders so the fry come out a bit larger and better equipped for taking larger foods than the SA/ CA species. So as you can see, there is no one answer.
As for filters, I was told by a rep from Hagen, long ago, that anything that impeads the intake of water into the HOB filter only serves to reduce the lifespan of the filter. On the same note, the only filter that is 100% safe for a fish fry is an air driven sponge filter. Besides being a home for your nitrifying bacteria, it's also an additional feeding area for the fry. Besides having fewer parts and less maintenance, they are the ideal filter for fish fry and why every fish hatchery, mine included, using them over other filters. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

TheresaM thanks for the link, it seems like a nice site.

Andy Sager, you made me rethink again the filter thing lol. By the way the frys will be platy for now.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/andy+sager-41382.html

When I was working in the pet shops, it was a common practice to use things like ladies stockings and socks to protect the slower moving fish from the filters. When I mentioned this to the rep, the look in his eyes told the story. Then he told me the reason so I went back to my sponge filters. :brows:(y)

When I was working in the pet shops, it was a common practice to use things like ladies stockings and socks to protect the slower moving fish from the filters. When I mentioned this to the rep, the look in his eyes told the story. Then he told me the reason so I went back to my sponge filters. :brows:(y)

Well I guess I can start with a sponge filter and if it works stay with that and move to another option if I have problems. Thanks for the help.

Well at first I plan to move a pregnant platy(If I make the tank in time) So it will be the platy and the fry(if they don't die).

If it's just the single female a sponge filter should be fine, even with fry.

Back
Top Bottom