question about clay and potash/dolomite for mts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me.
I bought dirt from a nursery (46L storage contain full) and it really does appear to be all soil, but also some Grey clay. All the bag stuff (even cheap) was about 70% non-soil. Anyway, soaked and dried about 15 times as I am waiting for dolomite. Found a commerical supplier who is sending me a free sample of powdered. So I figured on my 75 Gallon which is 48"x18" x approx 2" soil makes for about a cubic ft. of soil needed. I ordered C-red clay from anxer as c-red has more iron than redart clay. I got 2lbs. and received today. I thought 2 lbs. would be a larger bag. its fairly small. I don't think I'll have 5-10% clay. Should I get more, or is this enough. Also. How do you gauge how much potash and d0lomite to add to bottom?

Also, I've read about people adding horticultural Charcoal between soil and cap to further absorb and then release nutrients. Also have read of some people adding peat granules to prevent anoxic problems and buffer ph etc.

and was wondering if any ferts or root tabs should be added since my tank will be empty and started from the bottom up.

Lastly, lighting. already getting bba with 2x20w 6500k bulbs on about 12 hrs, but now have reduced that to 6 with daily water changes and it is helping with the problem, (as well as spot treating with peroxide)

I have a 2x54watt light ready to go when new tank set up is done. Will I have problems without a CO2 system? really trying to avoid that expense right now and diy isn't practical on a 75g.

Sorry so long winded, I'm new to this and spend most time googling everything.
Thanks for any help.

Oh, and lighting is t5 HO 54w

Back
Top Bottom