Question about cleaning filter media.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know filter media is to be cleaned by existing tank water. However, I want to ask if to clean filter media by prime water (Tap water added Seachem Prime) Will that also kill the beneficial bacterias in filter media or is it safe? Thanks.

As long as water is dechlorinated and close temperature you should be fine .
I often ring my sponge filters in buckets of clean dechlorinated water.

As long as water is dechlorinated and close temperature you should be fine .
I often ring my sponge filters in buckets of clean dechlorinated water.
Thanks. It won't be same temperature since its tap and inside water of tank is very cold. If I add prime to water. Put on room and let it sit and match with the tank water temperature and clean filter with that watee then all good?

YUP !(y)
Not so sure cold is bad or as bad as hot.
Bacteria die from heat and low O2 but go dormant from cold ,possibly dying from freezing ?

YUP !(y)
Not so sure cold is bad or as bad as hot.
Bacteria die from heat and low O2 but go dormant from cold ,possibly dying from freezing ?
Tank is like 21 to 22 usually. Its summer and tap water is hot but my room has aie conditioning all the time so I thought to put water in room temperature like tank. And don't know if bacterias will die in 22 I guess they will stay fine.

Hey kashif314! Just putting in my two cents: I personally don’t clean my filter media (haven’t changed them out in two years!) as long as I get good readings and my tank seems healthy. I’ll occasionally (every few months) rinse media but it’s in tank water and just if there’s a build-up of gunk there. :)

Treated tap water sounds fine to me.

I haven’t tried it at new place yet (and running younger bacterial population and less filters) - at old place would just alternate spraying filter media under hose (untreated and summer or winter - concluded it all depends on what water treatment is done, how established or old the bacterial population is and how quick you are cleaning ie media isn’t left in sun to dry out for an afternoon).

I got a bio sponge from Angel Plus in January and the guy told me not to worry if it gets cold. Upon arrival it was almost frozen but I popped it in my tropical water and boom...cycled.

Back
Top Bottom