question about co2 tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
9oz are small paintball cylinders, 20oz being the biggest. You will find yourself refilling them all the time.

If you are going through the expense of picking up a regulator, reactor and everything else, why not buy a used 5lb or 10lb tank.. They can be had from fire extinguisher place or a welding shop.

That regulator will not work with a paintball cylinder since it has a CGA320 fitting and the paintball cylinders don't.

Try contacting a local homebrew club- Such as the Maltose Falcons at http://www.maltosefalcons.com

They use 5lb Co2 tanks to setup Draft Beer from kegs.

A Paintball Co2 Tank uses modified CGA320 fittings- CGA320 doesn't us an "O" ring, and doesn't have a pin in the center, but it's the same size and threads. You can check your paintball store, see if they have replacement valves. You need an On-Off valve to handle the pin item. The "O" ring doesn't really matter- It'll still fit.

Here's a guy who did essentially what you are looking to do- http://www.flatsurface.com/paintball-co2/index.html -The only difference is that where you would put a Co2 Reactor, they put a keg.

Note that I *beleive* Smarts Parts discontinued the specific valve this guy used, but I could be wrong. Your local paintball store almost certainly carries this valve, but it may be made by some other company. If you get an In-Line valve, you can use several Paintball Tanks, and bring them all in at once to get filled.

You will spend more on Co2 this way.

You'll need an adapter, as already mentioned, and that adapter might cost as much as a brand new 5lb cylinder.

the price of refills alone...what do you pay the paintball store for a 9oz fill? because 5lbs is about $11 with sales tax at the welding shop, and back in the day I paid $5 for a 7oz fill for my paintball gun.

malkore said:
You'll need an adapter, as already mentioned, and that adapter might cost as much as a brand new 5lb cylinder.

1st result when I did a search for Inline Co2 On Off Valve was this adapter for $10.95.

http://www.shop4paintball.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=20

Your local paintball store probably carries it.

Anyone selling it for as much as a new 5lb tank is nuts... or has customers who don't know how much they are worth. Or maybe paintball stuff is really expensive where you lived- $5 for 7oz Co2 is a lot more then I ever charged.

Having said that, filling 20oz cyclinders will get tiring, and be a bit more expensive.

That is an inline on/off (looks like it's for a remote of some sort). You still need to attach it to your tank, and find a way to mate it to a CGA320 fitting that comes on the regulator. (and by no means is a paintball cylinder a modified CGA fitting)

I assume you are in the business. I would have personally recommended just getting a regulator from palmers pursuit shop. They have regs that attach to a paintball cylinder and output 1/4" hose to recharge draft beer. They are about 100$, but that is the reg aswell.

I normally would have been paying 5$ for a fill regardless of what size tank I have, but I use HPA and it's also free fills at the local field.

a 10lb tank costs about 10-15$ to fill and lasts 11+ months. (That is the equivilent of 18 fills of a 9oz bottle. and I don't have to run out every week or 2 to get one filled.)

To each their own. If you are buying the stuff to inject Co2, why not buy the right type of stuff..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
That is an inline on/off (looks like it's for a remote of some sort). You still need to attach it to your tank, and find a way to mate it to a CGA320 fitting that comes on the regulator. (and by no means is a paintball cylinder a modified CGA fitting)

I assume you are in the business. I would have personally recommended just getting a regulator from palmers pursuit shop. They have regs that attach to a paintball cylinder and output 1/4" hose to recharge draft beer. They are about 100$, but that is the reg aswell.

I normally would have been paying 5$ for a fill regardless of what size tank I have, but I use HPA and it's also free fills at the local field.

a 10lb tank costs about 10-15$ to fill and lasts 11+ months. (That is the equivilent of 18 fills of a 9oz bottle. and I don't have to run out every week or 2 to get one filled.)

To each their own. If you are buying the stuff to inject Co2, why not buy the right type of stuff..

Good points. I was in the buisiness, and still have more spare paintball parts in my basement then some stores.

I am building my own Co2 system, and you would agree with it- It uses a 20 lb Co2 tank (My old portable fill station). I haven't finished the plumbing for the Co2 Reactor yet, so I also have a complete, disassembled Co2 Injection System in my dining room.

I just a few moments ago connected a 9oz Co2 Cylinder to my Milwaukee Regulator. How is a Paintball Co2 Tank not CGA 320 with 2 modifications (O ring and Flow Control Pin?).

An Inline On-Off Valve screws directly on the tank, and the other end screws directly into the Reg- No additional adapters are needed.

As I have attempted to say each and every post- You will end up changing your Co2 tank often. You will pay more for Co2. If a 5 lb last 10 months, a 20oz would need to be changed in about 2 months (Unless my math is off, no coffee yet.).

i got the point spend the money and get the right stuff. thanks everyone

I just a few moments ago connected a 9oz Co2 Cylinder to my Milwaukee Regulator. How is a Paintball Co2 Tank not CGA 320 with 2 modifications (O ring and Flow Control Pin?).

Interesting, i just verified that it is a cga320 thread type, my 2 concerns regarding this is pin valve, coupling allows for a bad connection. 2, the Oring has a threadless space. since I don't have one in front of me, how many threads actually catch? this is after all up to 1200PSI in the summer..

Kaz, You were already spending the money, might as well. Not to mention you are running a 75Gal which is quite a demand on Co2.

Back
Top Bottom