Question about cory cats, plants and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seeker_7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have never had cory cats before, but everyone here has me quite interested in them as they seem to be a favorite for so many of you. I've been reading as much as possible on them and I have a concern.
I have low lighting right now with low light plants. I adore so many plants that need better lighting, so I was about to upgrade my lights to T5s and get a CO2 system going.
I read several articles saying:
A) Don't have cory cats in planted tanks because they will uproot everything.
B) Cory cats NEED low lighting and would even prefer water tinted by driftwood to feel comfortable. They will not be happy or active in high light tanks.

I have white sand, so even with my low lights, it feels brighter. Do I have to choose between upgrading my lights and having cories? Do any of you have problems with cory cats in your planted tanks? I'm so confused. :) Those articles don't seem to jive with what I've read here.

I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 t5ho and 2 t8 home depot bulbs, all are 65k. My tank is heavily planted. My 4 panda cories seem to have no problem. They are great for cleaning up the substrate and they don't up root plants.

Thanks! I will take the advice of those who can share personal experience over some article potentially written by someone who doesn't even HAVE fish much more seriously. HA HA!

I've been keeping cories in planted tanks that have low to high light for over 30 years and all do fine. Currently I have 25 cory's in my very high light 220g tank without issues. When the metal halides kick on the cories tend to stay under the vast plant cover. The halides only run 4 hours and the rest of the time T5HO's run (which is very low light in such a deep tank) and the cory's then use the very front of the tank as well.

Cory's don't have to be in black water. They enjoy it but they do not need it. I also have not had problems with cory's uprooting plants except for Dwarf Baby Tears. Cory's get blamed on uprooting stem plants but if they are planted deep enough, in a deep enough substrate I've never had problems. I mainly use stem plants in all my tanks without issue from the cories.

So IMO upgrade your lighting and have the planted tank you want and the cory's will be fine. Just be sure to have some thick area's of plants and maybe a piece of driftwood that the cory's can retreat to if they want to be in a shaded area of the tank.

Hello Seek...

Set up the tank as you like. Corydoras like a little shade, so provide it by introducing some floating plants like Brazilian water weed, Pennywort, Water wisteria, Hornwort and Water sprite. They're bottom feeders and spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank foraging. So, add some hiding places on the bottom with driftwood or decorations from the pet store.

Pretty simple.

B

Very cool!! I went to the landscaping place (they carry pond rocks) and got some Tennessee river rocks for $.20/pound. They had the most BEAUTIFUL totally flat, saucer sized rock that was grey and greenish speckled. I tested it for tank safety and it passed. I can elevate that on each end and they will have an awesome and gorgeous place to hide out. I can add plants all around it. That should keep them happy and feeling secure.

I have a dirted tank with gravel on top and live plants. The roots go beneath the gravel now and none of my corys have bothered them at all. They do, however, love hiding under them!

Back
Top Bottom