question about cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I am about to start cycling my new 10 gallon tank. It has an aquaclear 50 on the back of it with a sponge filter in the bottom and bio max. Should i remove the sponge filter to ensure as much as possible bacteria grows on the bio max?

Okay so I am about to start cycling my new 10 gallon tank. It has an aquaclear 50 on the back of it with a sponge filter in the bottom and bio max. Should i remove the sponge filter to ensure as much as possible bacteria grows on the bio max?

You probably want to rinse it off maybe replace the filter if the charcoal is nearly gone....

i was gonna put the sponge back in after cycling but since you rinse out the sponge wouldnt it be smarter to just cycle the tank with just bio media in it so that the bacteria is only there and on the tank insides and substrate??

I guess you could. I rinse out the sponge and biomedia in old tank water once a month, so nothing much gets removed. If you put it back in after it cycles bacteria will grow on it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom