Question about FL water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeavisMom62

Aquarium Advice Freak
Presently the house that I live in has city water. I will be moving to a new house at the end of next month which has well water. I've had FL well water before, but never had fish at that time. I'm told that there is an "aerator" connected to the water supply. I know what an aerator is, but other than putting air in my water, what does it do? What is the purpose? There is no water softener connected to this water supply, just this aerator.

How much is my water going to change? Is there anything that I need to do to prepare my fish for different water?

It really depends on the water. You might just need to put in Prime to get rid of the chlorine, by it all depends in the water. You should check the water by using a test kit to check the parameters.

Thanks, slither. As long as I've lived here, I've never seen or heard of an aerator connected to house water before. Even though well water supposedly doesn't have chlorine in it, I'd planned to use it anyway. Seems a good safety feature!

My boyfriend has done pump and wells practically since he could walk and he has never heard of an aerator that hooks up to the water supply coming into your house.. Try doing a little more info on that one. We also live in Fl and have well water and my fish tank levels are perfect. Good luck figuring that one out, let me know what you find out I'm curious! :)

Well water's the same as Groundwater like we have on L.I. The benefit is it usually has a lot of essential nutrients for your tank. It'll make it a bit harder than city water ... thus possibly a higher pH, but nothing your fish shouldn't adjust to. Continue with using de-chlorinator.

Below is an excerpt from the link explaining why you aerate well water.

Aeration of the water to oxidize the hydrogen sulfide gas, combined with periodic shock chlorination.

Since the bacteria that create the hydrogen sulfide odor (rotten egg) are usually anaerobic, or bacteria that cannot thrive in oxygen rich environments, often aeration in a non-pressurized vented holding tank is beneficial to eliminate and drive off the gas into atmosphere. This works best if the pH is low (less than 7.0) since the hydrogen sulfide gas at pH higher than 7.0 will not easily gas off completely.

Clean Water Store: How To Treat Odors In Well Water

Back
Top Bottom