Question about Flourite and sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there an easy way to rinse substrates like flourite and sand? With rock it's easy because I can use a large strainer or my hand to hold back the rock and rinse it. But this flourite I'm using is filthy and I'm having a hell of a time rinsing it. I'm using my python to fill a container then drain it with a piece of pantyhose rubber banded over the end of my python so that the small gravel isn't sucked down the drain. I have some Tahitian moon sand I want to use too, but that's an even smaller size. I've never worked with sand before and I'm not sure how vacuuming will work with that. I feel like a retard...

Thanks!

Heh, I went thru something similar with the laterite and moon sand I used. I found a new clean pillow case worked great. It kept the small grains from wandering off while rinsing, but let all the cloudy stuff thru. I just stuck the nozzle of the shower head in the top of the bag and let it go thru, shaking and shifting the sand and/or laterite. Took about 15-20 mins per load (I split the sand up cause it was pretty heavy when wet), but made a BIG difference.

Excellent idea! Thank you so much Alli :) I've got to make time to post more on AA again so I can learn hear great tips more often :)

Alli, I added to your idea. I put the pillowcase full of sand in the shower. I tied off one end and I've got the shower spray running through it wand washing it :)

Back
Top Bottom