question about growing plants in a starter kit tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcmakesiteasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

not sure which starter kit 10 gallon tank i purchased because I bought it off a guy on craigslist without the box because it was used. This particular tank came with the hood with an LED light fixture that sits on top of the hood. I was wondering if I could grow or maintain any sort of plants with this?

I have read threads on here where people are able to grow low light plants with LED lights. SOme suggestions are anubias and crypts and java ferns. Hopefully someone who has LED's will chime in. I just bought small strips that have the moonlights and daylights but I also use T5 HO's on my tanks and one has a T8 so I'm not sure how just the LED alone will do. Gotta love Craigslist bargains! I bought a few tanks that way now!

I have read threads on here where people are able to grow low light plants with LED lights. SOme suggestions are anubias and crypts and java ferns. Hopefully someone who has LED's will chime in. I just bought small strips that have the moonlights and daylights but I also use T5 HO's on my tanks and one has a T8 so I'm not sure how just the LED alone will do. Gotta love Craigslist bargains! I bought a few tanks that way now!

I know! i got everything including a stand, filter, and heater for only 30 bucks. If anyone knows if I can grow some plants or maintain them let me know, as I already have 3 small plants in my sand/gravel substrate. (i'm not sure what plants they are, i bought them at petco in a plastic tube) Thanks:angel:

I know! i got everything including a stand, filter, and heater for only 30 bucks. If anyone knows if I can grow some plants or maintain them let me know, as I already have 3 small plants in my sand/gravel substrate. (i'm not sure what plants they are, i bought them at petco in a plastic tube) Thanks:angel:

You can get away with LEDs on a 10g. I have one. I grow Crypts. Anubias, various stems, etc.

Check my rimless 10g on my profile for details.

Root Caps every 4 months as I'm using straight sand.
Liquid ferts 1x weekly after PWCs.

Im kinda in the same boat man...im actually upgradeing my leds cause they are the starter kit ones and pretty much suck...low light plants no problem....but anything else start looking to upgrade....i think the lowest limit is around 6k for healthy plants....but dont quote me...i also have a deep tank, so I need more light to penatrate the water.....i think if you go to the plant section of fw theres a stickey with a link to a bunch of info...or if someone can post a link that would be awsome as well....

Im kinda in the same boat man...im actually upgradeing my leds cause they are the starter kit ones and pretty much suck...low light plants no problem....but anything else start looking to upgrade....i think the lowest limit is around 6k for healthy plants....but dont quote me...i also have a deep tank, so I need more light to penatrate the water.....i think if you go to the plant section of fw theres a stickey with a link to a bunch of info...or if someone can post a link that would be awsome as well....

could you possibly list some low light plants I could buy at the store?

Honestly man I just told you all I know...lol but I'm sure someone else will chime in today...or use an online place, look at the pics and get an idea and check out low light plants...then go to your lfs and order them through them...

Ou can allso pm rivercats....he answers a ton of my plant/lighting issues...helped me out a lot...

In my kit with LEDs I had Anubias, java fern, java moss, vallisneria, amazon swords, melon sword, crypts, hornwort they all did really well with just root tabs and weekly dosing of seachem flourish comprehensive. There's heaps more low lights that will do fine ill try and post a link to a list of them for you

In my kit with LEDs I had Anubias, java fern, java moss, vallisneria, amazon swords, melon sword, crypts, hornwort they all did really well with just root tabs and weekly dosing of seachem flourish comprehensive. There's heaps more low lights that will do fine ill try and post a link to a list of them for you

awesome! thanks for the help guys, btw, what are some good ferts and what is a root tab?

awesome! thanks for the help guys, btw, what are some good ferts and what is a root tab?

No probs :) I like and use seachem flourish comprehensive liquid ferts and am using API root tabs but I'm going to switch to flourish root tabs they last longer and I've heard good things about them.

a root tab is a time released tablet of fertilizer that you place near the roots of your aquatic plants. I use Seachem's Flourish tabs.

You can make your own
DIY Root Tabs

DIY Fert-Cicles.
Osmocote Plus from hardware store or nursery
+ Ice Tray
+ Tank Water

Fill trays 1/2 way with Fert
Fill trays with tank water
Freeze

Bury deep under or near Crypts and Swords or struggling plants. You don't need to put one per plant. Space them about 6" apart I think ??

I use O+ in my tanks. Got a RAOK of O+ root caps, gel capsules. They work great.

News flash ! I told a seller that AA needs root tabs so he has them for sale in the MART here on AA. I don't know him personally, but great feedback on TPT and I plan to buy iron root tabs from him this week.

Back
Top Bottom