Question about Koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay....this is a Koi we have at school...I do not have it lol

It's about..2 foot long and near it's anal fin it has a protrusion sticking out...and since people are like freaking out that it's prolapsing and some people are like....Mrs. Hahn thinks it's a girl it's just got eggs!

@__@ I'd like to try to see if you guys could try to answer that for me... it's not a big bump it's like maybe not even a centimeter and it's oval shaped wtih white scales then pink on the end and I think it slightly folds in at the end where the pink is too.

I don't know if this is true also in Koi, but in golds, egg impaction can cause a prolapse of the oviduct &/or colon. (So Mrs. Hahn is kinda right).

This condition is NOT normal, however. I've read in a goldfish forum that the condition may resolve itself if the female release the eggs or absorbs them if no male is present. If she cannot get rid of the eggs, the prolapse may be fatal.

Some have tried introducing a male (temporarily) just so she will release the eggs. Others have suggested manually stripping the eggs .... BUT this is NOT recommended as inexpert stripping can cause major damage & kill the fish more surely than the egg impaction itself. The best thing seems to be just wait it out.

I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with the topic, well not directly. I have a friend who is in med school and to test for a prolapse, he asks the patient to bear down like she is going to the bathroom. He's like six inches away from the patient when this happens. Well, his patient let out a fart and he felt it on his face. That's my prolapse story.

Sounds like its a female. Diagnosis seems right. Not much for you to do if you don't know what you're doing. The best thing to do is house the koi in proper living conditions rather than a tank. There is less chance for them becoming egg-bound and such.

There's other koi in the tank...I don't think they're all female and none of them have ever laid eggs o.o;; (X.x sorry this is so late I kinda forgot about this topic ^^; )

Back
Top Bottom