Question about light for planted 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will work for beginner and low
Light plants such as Java miss anubias and Java fern plus floaters

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

I'd recommend a finned planted plus, or a finned stingray if you want a cheaper light. I have a planted plus on a 10 gal and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What Cherokee said... Those are some of the best light fixtures in the industry... Pricey tho if you're Ina budget like me... For what you that light will work. As a noob in fish keeping I kept my ten next to a window with actual lighting. ( keep in mind I was a complete noob, now I'm slightly less nooby! Anyway even with closed blinds I grew crypts Java moss and anubias easily. Got a heck a lot of algae with it tho...

Cheapest and good solution, an architect style lamp and a cfl. Always grew plants in my 10 like wild!

Lol too many different suggestion, I'm not on a budget but I'm a beginner and this will be my first planted tank and I want to start to with something easy . The Marineland looked like something easy, as it have the hood and the lights but I will look at the others suggestion too.

Lol too many different suggestion, I'm not on a budget but I'm a beginner and this will be my first planted tank and I want to start to with something easy . The Marineland looked like something easy, as it have the hood and the lights but I will look at the others suggestion too.

I'd go ahead and get a planted plus. Chances are your going to love planted tanks. They're amazing. I wish I had just started with a planted plus instead of going through all sorts of different bulbs and issues with them... Or the finned stingray is about the same cost as the mainland.

I'd go ahead and get a planted plus. Chances are your going to love planted tanks. They're amazing. I wish I had just started with a planted plus instead of going through all sorts of different bulbs and issues with them... Or the finned stingray is about the same cost as the mainland.

You mean this one http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...id=1440465673&sr=8-3&keywords=finnex+stingray

Those finnex lights look great. I would preferred a hood with light but I guess I can ignore the hood or buy a clear one also.

I don't have the fugeray. I just have the plain finned planted plus. I thing the finned light with a glass lid looks best. I had a hood before, and i think this looks much nicer.

I was looking for the planted plus but what I found was this one http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...440503890&sr=8-2&keywords=finnex+planted+plus

at least on amazon. Thanks for the advice no matter which one the finnex line looks very nice.

I got my planted plus for my 10g on eBay for about 50$ shipped, check on there

I'm kind of confuse, when I search for the planted plus, the result I get is the Finnex Fugeray planted or Finnex Planted Plus 24/7. Both have good reviews and both cost almost the same.

I'm kind of confuse, when I search for the planted plus, the result I get is the Finnex Fugeray planted or Finnex Planted Plus 24/7. Both have good reviews and both cost almost the same.

I just replaced my lights on my 55 gallon with the 24/7 a few days ago so far so good. I actually haven't put a hood on it since the replacement. Tbh my evap amounts haven't changed much, but also I don't have any fish that are prone to jumping.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440515047.422465.jpg

I just replaced my lights on my 55 gallon with the 24/7 a few days ago so far so good. I actually haven't put a hood on it since the replacement. Tbh my evap amounts haven't changed much, but also I don't have any fish that are prone to jumping.
View attachment 277014

Which one you had before. I'm still very confuse about to go with the 24/7 or the Fugeray planted. I have read different reviews and some say they prefer the 24/7 because the ability to control the light and some say the Fugeray had more light capability than the 24/7.

Which one you had before. I'm still very confuse about to go with the 24/7 or the Fugeray planted. I have read different reviews and some say they prefer the 24/7 because the ability to control the light and some say the Fugeray had more light capability than the 24/7.

Short story: I would get the 24/7.
Long story: I believe the confusion with Finnex LED models stems from the use of "FugeRay" and "Planted+".
A few years back the Finnex FugeRAY Original came out as a lesser powered version of the RAY2. It had more reds and produced a less washed out appearance compared to the Ray2. I have one on a 20 long which is about as deep as a 10g (12"). The PAR at 12" is around 45 which puts it at the lower end of medium lighting (with medium being in the range of 30-80 PAR). I was able to grow a variety of medium light demanding plants using DIY or pressurized CO2.
Later the Finnex FugeRAY Planted+ was released. It is often referred to as the Planted+. It had more reds and produced a higher PAR value (61-65 @12"). Like the FugeRAY, it has a moonlight feature and a master ON/OFF switch. I also have one of these over a 20 Long. I use a pair of 26W 6500K CFLs in 5.5" dome lamps for supplemental lighting. Using pressurized CO2, glutaraldehyde and PPS-Pro ferts I can grow most medium to medium-high light plants.
Most recent is the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. Sometimes the "Planted+" part is dropped to avoid confusion. I believe the PAR and cost are similar to the Planted+, however, it has a 24/7 mode that simulates sunrise and sunset or in manual mode it can be dimmed. I have yet to get one of these; the dimmer is a selling point IMO.
There is also the Finnex StingRAY which is a lower costing lesser powered fixture. Possibly best for low light and maybe low medium situations. Both the StingRAY and 24/7 feature a thinner chassis compared to their predecessors.

Short story: I would get the 24/7.
Long story: I believe the confusion with Finnex LED models stems from the use of "FugeRay" and "Planted+".
A few years back the Finnex FugeRAY Original came out as a lesser powered version of the RAY2. It had more reds and produced a less washed out appearance compared to the Ray2. I have one on a 20 long which is about as deep as a 10g (12"). The PAR at 12" is around 45 which puts it at the lower end of medium lighting (with medium being in the range of 30-80 PAR). I was able to grow a variety of medium light demanding plants using DIY or pressurized CO2.
Later the Finnex FugeRAY Planted+ was released. It is often referred to as the Planted+. It had more reds and produced a higher PAR value (61-65 @12"). Like the FugeRAY, it has a moonlight feature and a master ON/OFF switch. I also have one of these over a 20 Long. I use a pair of 26W 6500K CFLs in 5.5" dome lamps for supplemental lighting. Using pressurized CO2, glutaraldehyde and PPS-Pro ferts I can grow most medium to medium-high light plants.
Most recent is the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. Sometimes the "Planted+" part is dropped to avoid confusion. I believe the PAR and cost are similar to the Planted+, however, it has a 24/7 mode that simulates sunrise and sunset or in manual mode it can be dimmed. I have yet to get one of these; the dimmer is a selling point IMO.
There is also the Finnex StingRAY which is a lower costing lesser powered fixture. Possibly best for low light and maybe low medium situations. Both the StingRAY and 24/7 feature a thinner chassis compared to their predecessors.

Wow thanks a lot for your reply. I got some doubts cleared and I will buy the 24/7.

Nice that 24/7 will never be regretted especially when you get hooked on to the planted aquarium style! I believe it can be dimmed so you won't get algae. Not sure tho

Before I had a DIY led I placed in my stock hood.
Tbh I don't know the par difference between the 2. Also with a 10g tank the small tank height is going to increase the light of either unit. The 24/7 being dimmable would allow you to turn down the lights if your carbon needs go above what you provide, increasing algae.

Back
Top Bottom