Question about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gab_attack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, so I'm pretty new to the fish keeping hobby, but I love that I seem to be learning something new every day! For the past year or so I've kept it small and simple with two 5.5g tanks with just bettas in each, but I finally made the move to a 20g long recently.

I plan to do a planted tank with some beginner-friendly community fish to try my hand at it. Right now I'm taking the time to gather everything for the tank before I set it up. My one question is on lighting. I plan on growing anubias, some dwarf sag, crypts, and maybe a couple others that I've been reading up on. I was planning on buying a Finnex Fugeray 30" fixture, but I'm afraid that it will be too much, and grow a ton of algae that will be a pain to get rid of.

So basically, will the fugeray be okay on the tank, or am I better off getting something else? If there's a different kind of light, I'd like to keep it around the $80 or less range.

p.s. I don't plan on doing any kind of pressurized CO2 setup, but I was planning on using liquid ferts. Would anyone recommend using liquid CO2 as well?

I think a 20" Finnex would be fine or the 18-24" Fluval LED.

I would highly recommend Glut/Excel, the Fluval Pressurized C02 kit is only $80 and would work just fine.

I ran a 30" FugeRay on a 20g long for over a year and had great results with most medium plants. The FugeRay will produce light in the lower half of medium which should be fine for the plants listed. It should be okay without the addition of CO2 although a carbon source (Excel, CO2 Booster, Glutaraldehyde) should help with plant growth (which in turn helps control algae). Be sure to get a timer and use it. I would set it for 8 hours and go from there. Excessive photo periods can lead to algae problems.
Another option is the Finnex Stingray. It is a newer fixture and I believe produces less light than the FugeRay but includes the reds that promote plant growth. I have not used that model but it has been mentioned a few times on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom