Question about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katelyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum so i have no idea if I'm posting this in the right place!
I was wondering if anyone had opinions they could give me on the lighting in my tank and the plants I could keep.

I have a Juwel primo 70 aquarium, which has a bioflow one filter, a 50 W heater and a NOVOLUX LED light 60. It been running for nearly 3 years so its well cycled (sadly i don't have a water test kit to give exact values of the water). I keep oxygen going into the tank (through the bioflow filter) and the water temp at about 25 degrees Celsius

The contents of the tank: x2 platys x2 guppies x3 tetras (need to get more) x1 3 yr old BN pleco and a male pearl gourami (who likes to live with no other gouramis)

I've always struggled to keep plants alive, they die after about 3 months, so i was looking to see if any of you knew more information about the type of plants i could keep. If I'm honest I have no idea what plants they were as they were never labelled in the shop. I currently have one that is just about surviving with a few edges going brown. I have a gravel substrate and when i do water changes i add Flourish 'comprehensive plant supplement' but its our of date now! I also clean the gravel and try not to disrupt the roots.

The plants I was thinking of getting were MICROSORUM PTEROPUS (java fern), ANUBIAS and MICRO PTEROPUS LATIFOLIA. And hopefully some drift wood. As I've heard they are easy to keep and one of them can survive in different light conditions?

Basically I was wondering if the light i have in my tank (with a few LEDs gone) would be suitable or whether there would be too much light? And what thing I could add to the tank to help them survive? The tank also gets light from the window in my room.

Any answers would be appreciated :thanks: (Sorry for such a long message)

Back
Top Bottom