Question about molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chasnkevin4ever

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I had two female mollies and one male in the brackish water tank with moray eel. One of the females got eaten oops! Well now I have one male one female, the female looks very pregnant (I will get pics and post them). Her belly looks like it is getting rub off by male he is always trying to get her. He is getting this spot on his head between his eyes I don't know if it's him rubbing his black off from rubbing on her all the time or what, is that possible? I put him in a separate tank today, when I did water change. What should I do?

Best ones I could get!

Attachments

• image-2308524449.jpg
    image-2308524449.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2916829445.jpg
    image-2916829445.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-482411282.jpg
    image-482411282.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 60
I keep 3-4 females per male. My male continually mates with my females so I wouldn't have more than one because my females get a little rest and its a bit more peaceful tank. I know when my male is out of the tank the females seem much more relaxed.

Yes agree with the above post. And also yes she is pregnant congrats!

I keep 3-4 females per male. My male continually mates with my females so I wouldn't have more than one because my females get a little rest and its a bit more peaceful tank. I know when my male is out of the tank the females seem much more relaxed.

You make a good point. Males will become aggressive if there isn't a good male to female ratio present. The ratio is up for debate but my experience leads me to think that it's different from male fish to male fish. The minimum I would recommend is 2 females for every male. You may continue to see aggression from the male. At that point I would continue to add females until the aggression is reduced.

You make a good point. Males will become aggressive if there isn't a good male to female ratio present. The ratio is up for debate but my experience leads me to think that it's different from male fish to male fish. The minimum I would recommend is 2 females for every male. You may continue to see aggression from the male. At that point I would continue to add females until the aggression is reduced.

When I first started the hobby I didn't know what I was doing and went and pointed to fish cause they were pretty and the guy at Petsmart "guessed they should get along fine." After sorting things out, rehoming a few fish, upgrading my tank size, and researching here on Aquarium Advice I couldn't get to the store fast enough to get more females! I had one female and one male and she was pestered every waking moment.... I came home with two more females and he was much happier... as were his little ladies :D

Back
Top Bottom