Question About My Black Tail Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I Have in my Tank, Two Neon Tetras, Two Ballon Molly and Two Black Tail Platies. They all bounded very good, but one of my Platies always is hidding and sometimes I dont see it.

Can Anyone tell me if this is a normal behavior of the fish!

Thanks!

Hi again,

Did you buy a water test kit yet? You indicated in your other threads that your tank has only been running about a week, so you are not cycled yet, I'm sure. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What is the temperature in the tank?

Hiding is often a sign of stress and the first sign of problems in water quality. A partial water change with dechlorinator will likely help, but test results are needed here to know for sure what is going on.

The Fishes are doin fine, is just one of my platies that is always hidding and dont come out. Tomorrow in going to buy a water test kit to check what is going on.

Last edited:
When in doubt you can always do a water change and see if behaviour changes. Extra water changes can't hurt. Once you test your parameters you will know where you are at with your cycle. Usually platies don't hide unless stressed for some reason. Water may be the reason.

Im sad to report that my two black tail platies just die this morning. Maybe was the water that is not cycled completed I just dont know what could caused this.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure with everyone's help we'll get this straightened out for you. :) I would do a large water change immediately. Did you get a test kit yet? What are your parameters? Don't beat yourself up about the platies, I would keep up on the water changes and keep an eye on your params.

That S*cks.! Keep changing your water, Platies might not have been acclimated to your type of water...
Ho you know the hardness or PH?

definitely get you test kit reefman the liquid type is much more accurate than the strips.. I'm sorry for your losses.. Is this your first tank? setting up tanks is the most fun time.. but also the most upsetting it takes patince to cycle the tank and have it ready for fish..
As suggested do your water change and then test your water for Amonnia, NitrItes, and NitrAtes..report your results back to us

Thanks Guys for your support to me, Im doin a water change every week now, as you know this is my first acuarium and Im doin all the best I can to keep my tank in good conditions. I will post soon all the results on my water parameters. Thanks Again all for been there for me!!

Back
Top Bottom