Question about my Hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandt724

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided about 2 months ago to start trying plants other than bamboo. I bought 2 bags of Hairgrass at a local shop to see how it went. Up until recently they have done great, almost more than doubled in size.

Within the past week they have started to get a brownish tint to them. Im wondering if maybe was nutrients or whatever has built up in the sand has depleted to the point the plants are starting to starve?

The tank is about 8 months old, couldnt ask for a better tank as far as maintenance goes. Once I added 2 chinese algae suckers about 5 months ago I havent done anything but feed them, add water and change filters.

Attachments

• 1393889546003.jpg
    1393889546003.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 1393889571122.jpg
    1393889571122.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 1393889585290.jpg
    1393889585290.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 174
Hi,

DHG really needs at least moderate light, co2 preferred or liquid carbon at least, and good fertilizer. I'd dose flourish.

Btw, that bamboo is not fully aquatic. It's leaves need to be emersed.

Yeah im not a huge fan of the bamboo its just there until I can get enough plants and variety of plant tallness in my tank. Its made it since day one so far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ill get some fertilizer from my local store this week and start dosing it

Keep us informed I would love to know how the excel ends up working for you!

I have a Current 24" Led light and I will keep it updated on how the excel works, havent been able to get to my local shop since we recieved almost 6 inches of sleet sunday night

Led or led+? Either one is not really bright enough for dh. They can survive for a bit on those light fixtures but will not look 100%.

Are there any other fish than the Chinese algae eaters? Also Chinese algae eaters will get a little aggressive the older they get. They will be more aggressive to others of their species more than other fish.

Yes, personally I think it over crowded. My girlfriend bought 4 she liked after I thought I had it stocked. 2 algae eaters, 2 dalmation mollies, 2 sword fish, 2 cherry barbs, 2 gold tetras, 2 cory catfish, 2 black skirt tetras and 2 white skirt tetras

In a 29 gallon tank.

Well the tank may be a little overstocked. Though I like to keep my tanks a little more under stocked so there will be people who may say you have the right amount or too little fish. Barbs will get nippy when in small groups. They should be in groups of at least 4-5. The more the better.
So the dh should have enough fish waste to feed on. It is most likely the light.

I was able to make it to my local store and buy some Excel today, started dosing it today so we will see hpw it goes from here. But the grass did great the first few weeks, its almost 2 and a half times as tall as it was when I bought it.

And as far as the barbs, they have been great together but I have been wanting to get a few more. The algae eaters I have noticed them to chase other fish around some here lately.

Attachments

• 1394074180066.jpg
    1394074180066.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 97
I went on a little cleaning kick tonight and cleaned all the glass on the outside and scraped some white fuzzy stuff off the inside.

*can anyone tell me what the white *fuzzy* stuff is that develops on the glass and stuff in my tank such as the bamboo?

I also decided to put black vinyl on the back for a background. Its different, made my tank look smaller but you cant see any of the cords through it so its worth it. It def makes me want to get some more plants in it to cover some of the black.

Attachments

• 1394074365080.jpg
    1394074365080.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 110
Looks better.. your filter looks more stealthy against that background, too.

Edit:
What are you dosing for fertilizer? Excel is just one piece of the puzzle. What other plants are you considering?

I havent started dosing any fertilizer yet, I dont really know what to go for honestly on that. There was some Flourish Iron substrate at my local store but it was kind of empty. This ice storm here has kinda put a hurt on everything around here.

As far as what other plants, im not sure. Im wanting plants that add color and are different than leaf bladed plants that are just green.

Im open to suggestions lol

White and fuzzy sounds like fungus. If not mentioned before, the bamboo will not do well if their tops are not out of the water.

The white fuzzy stuff has been coming up since the first month I have had the tank running. I have kinda just over looked it since it doesnt get on the fish nor does it seem to hurt them. I didnt know if it was normal or what. Ill do some more digging on it.

And yes it has been, thank you for the suggestion again but I honestly dont have a way to get them out of the water. They have made it 8 months or so now. Ill keep them down until I notice a change I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom