question about nitrite spike.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tivaala

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i just had a massive nitrite spike...not sure what happened.
1) tank was fishless cycled - jump started from established tank.
2) cycle finished, waited a little while to make sure - added fish.

heres the list of what i did wrong -
1) forgot to rinse the new gravel (shouldnt be major tho just a bit of dust)
2) added a few more fish than is ideal (had no choice, got dumped with a bunch in need of a home. split them between all tanks)

heres the list of other things that have happened -
1) added plants, bogwood and a rock (all from the tank the rehomed fish came from)
2) platy died giving birth. (was x amount of time until i found it, max of 15 hours)
3) started feeding brine shrimp for the fry/ expectant mothers.
4) been dosing for ick.

so ammonia is reading 0ppm but nitrites went immediately to dark pink 4ppm (i.e deadly change water).
everyone seems fine, just did a large water change and will continue to monitor it. just not sure what happened.
yesterdays test was 0ppm for both, nitrates were and are 5ppm. the only other thing i can think of is my tests are tablets not liquid and maybe one of them gave a misread.
any suggestions?

Dosing for ich in a young tank can through off the biology of the tank. It should go down by itself with some water changes.

One thing I have learned form this forum, if you are not sure, do a water change! The guy at the LFS told me , "Dilution is the solution for the pollution" lol.
As far as the issue, i am wondering if your tank possibly wasnt finished and the tablets were innacurate. I don't know the rap that type of test has but hopefully whatever is going on will stop soon. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom