Question about pH Meters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
After using a Tetra pH test kit and test strips for years, I have considered getting a hand-help pH meter. It seems like it's a lot less trouble, less cleanup, no caustic chemicals, etc.

But after doing a little research on the web, I found that you have to keep the probe in a storage solution when you're not using it, and wash it off which some cleaning solution. Now that seems like that's just as much trouble as the old way.

I am hoping that's only to maintain maximum precision. So I want to know is: If I just rinse the probe off with RO water and put the meter back in its case, will that ruin the meter? Will that throw the readings off? I just want the pH of aquarium water, I'm not doing a chemistry experiment.

Thanks in advance. :D

I keep my probe in the tank 24/7 and the monitor on. I recalibrate it when I need to change the batteries (about every 6 weeks or so). Works just fine.

Quarryshark,

The probe for your monitor is always wet, I don't know if those are the same thing. I was wondering about the hand-held meters you get wet and then dry off once every week.

Mine is a pretty standard Pinpoint PH monitor. What brand are you refering too?

I was thinking about something like the Hanna Instruments pHep4, which I saw at the Drs. Foster and Smith website.

I have the same one quarryshark does. I leave it in the tank 24/7 I cut mine off when I am not using it. Does not need calibrated until battery dies. Much better than test kits

Hanna Instruments pHep4

I bought one of these off of Ebay, and I HATE it. I calibrated it like the instructions said, using the 4 and the 10 fluid, then stuck it in the 7 fluid and it was WRONG, and not just by a little...it was at least a whole point off. Just in case the calibration fluid was "old", I compared it to the test tube method, and it was still way off! If it can't read the calibration fluid correctly, I can't even fathom trusting it with my fishes' lives. I stuck it back in the box and threw it in the coat closet. Don't waste your money.

I'm actually going to splurge and buy one of the Pinpoint pH Monitors. Sometimes the colors in the test tube are hard for me to read, and I'm sure my pH is fluctuating more than I realize.

--Aquabear

Back
Top Bottom