Question about pumps and air stones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I tried searching for this but couldn't get an exact match.

I am a newbie and have just set up a 20 gal Top Fin tank. I also have a top fin air pump hooked up to one of those decorations (Cabin with wheel and chimney)

My problem is the noise is out of control. If I am in the basement, I still can hear it. The noise doesn't sound like it is the pump. The pump is a low muffled vibration. This noise is more like a rattle.

If I squeeze the air stone slightly, (air still getting through) the noise stops entirely. I bent the air stone and tied a rubber band around it. The chimney still has bubbles coming out at the normal speed. The wheel is also turning, albeit a little slower.

Is this something I shouldn't be doing? Or am I screwing up the pump?

Thanks for the help.

I am confused too. =) The noise sounds like it is coming from the tank. But if I disconnect the hose and blow air through it manually, there is no noise. Once I hook the hose up to the pump, the rattling starts.

As soon as I pinch the hose, the noise stops. Could it be too much air is being sent through the hose?

I seem to have made a mistake, it is not the airstone I am squeezing, it is the tubing leading from the pump to the decoration.

Deacon22 said:
I seem to have made a mistake, it is not the airstone I am squeezing, it is the tubing leading from the pump to the decoration.

Then I'd have to say its either the decor or you can try and put on a bigger air stone if that's where you think its coming from. It may be coming from the pump. Try putting a wash cloth under ot and see if that helps the vibration noise.

If I'm understanding correctly, your air stone decoration is making a lot of noise, but if you reduce the amount of air going to it, the noise stops but enough bubbles still flow out of the airstone. The air pump itself is not the cause of the noise?

If I have that right, you can purchase a small valve (very inexpensive) that you put between your airstone and your air pump to vary the amount of air that goes to the airstone. That will accomplish the same thing as putting a rubber band around your tubing, but give you a little more control.

Is your pump rated for a much bigger tank?

Bbarb, no the pump is rated for up to 20 gallons. A friend of mine gave me a gang valve to try this morning and it did the trick. Thanks.

If you have any filter in your tank I will just get rid of it. Air stones with a pump is just to circulate your water and create surface agitation which your filter does the samething as well.

My filter used to make a lot of noise but I since put some polysterene underneath it to fit between the tank and the cabinet and it has helped loads. Nowhere near as much noise coming from the tank.

It's probably the arms in the pump that moves the baffles to create air. When the hose is pinched it slows the arms down and stops them from hitting each other or hitting something else. Is it a dual pump or single?

chew valley said:
My filter used to make a lot of noise but I since put some polysterene underneath it to fit between the tank and the cabinet and it has helped loads. Nowhere near as much noise coming from the tank.

What type of filter do you have and how many gallons is your tank?

Bbarb, no the pump is rated for up to 20 gallons. A friend of mine gave me a gang valve to try this morning and it did the trick. Thanks.

Sounds like maybe you had too much air flow for that particular decoration/air stone. Glad it's fixed now!

Uncle Dirty said:
Thread is about air pumps, not filters......

I understand but the point is if he has a good enough filter, he doesn't need an air pump.

alex07 said:
I understand but the point is if he has a good enough filter, he doesn't need an air pump.

Some people like the looks of the bubbles and decor that can go with them. My kids wanted bubbles and I said no way then the wife made me so I did it for awhile then I set them both up tanks so they can have as many bubbles as they want lol

The only reason I have the air pump is for the decoration. The rattling has ceased with the addition of the gang valve.

Back
Top Bottom