question about sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've gone to a few different places to get sand, I really want white sand and can't find it :( all the sand I'm finding have a warning may contain crystalline silica. What the heck is that, and can I use that sand if I can't find white sand.

Look for Pool Filter Sand. It works very well for tanks. It comes in very light colors.

I found white sand, but is said not for use in tanks. I read a post months site that people did use that and had no problems.

do you have a link to it?

Some sand can cause diatom issues.

Have you looked for pool filter sand?

Any silica based sand can cause brown algae problems (PFS is silica based. I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef. It is silica based but has a polymer coating to prevent brown algae problems. It comes in both black and white. I wouldn't do all white. It will cause the fish to wash out their colors.

Diatoms can be an issue in any tank. Dozens of people on this forum use PFS without significantly more diatoms than those that don't.

Yes, I never said it will cause diatoms. I said it can. Obviously most people who use it don't have any issues. But there are people out there who have tried to use it and the extra silicates from the sand fed brown algae to the point that they had to remove it. I just want anyone who is thinking of using it to be aware of this.

PFS can also cause respiratory problems if dust is inhaled... so don't stick your head in the bucket when pouring it in to rinse it off

Last edited:
How difficult would a tank change from gravel to sand be if you had no other tanks to put the fish in? Is there a different way about doing this? I would love to able to switch over to sand like my betta tank but I have a few good bags of gravel in the tank I want to change lol.

It can be a bit of a pain, but doable. The best bet is to put the fish in a bucket temporarily while you change it out.

That is how I always do it.

Vacuum really well two days in a row. After vacuuming the second do not refill the tank yet. Turn of the filters and scoop out all the gravel. Then pour in the sand. Let it settle (you may have to work it a little to get it all to sink). Then fill the tank, turn the filters back on, and you are done. You will probably have to do a water change in the next few days.

It can be a bit of a pain, but doable. The best bet is to put the fish in a bucket temporarily while you change it out.

Thats what I was thinking, maybe if I were to just be quick, precise, and efficient, in the way I go about doing it, I can safely make that change. It will definitely be something I am going to do in the next few weeks. :)

That is how I always do it.

Vacuum really well two days in a row. After vacuuming the second do not refill the tank yet. Turn of the filters and scoop out all the gravel. Then pour in the sand. Let it settle (you may have to work it a little to get it all to sink). Then fill the tank, turn the filters back on, and you are done. You will probably have to do a water change in the next few days.

Niiiice, it seems like a very good way about doing it. Makes me even more excited. Like the topic creator, I think I will go with white sand. I have many dark colored structures, trees, etc., and I think white or a very soft and light color would be great.

I saw a great video not too long ago (I can't find the link, so if someone knows help me out) of a really good way to add sand to an established tank.

Fill an empty bottle (like a soda bottle) up with sand. Fill the sand bottle up with water. Tip the bottle upside down near the bottom of the tank and shake. The sand falls out nice and clean, while the "dirt" stays and floats up to the top of the bottle. When the sand runs out, pull the bottle up before the "dirt" starts coming out. Empty the dirty water and repeat. It is a bit of a slow process, but there was almost zero cloudiness coming out the bottom, just straight sand. Might be worth a try or at least a look.

mfdrookie516 said:
PFS can also cause respiratory problems if dust is inhaled... so don't stick your head in the bucket when pouring it in to rinse it off

Having your head under water may cause respiratory problems also lol

FYI the sand I recommended requires no cleaning and includes no dust or dirt.

Thanks, I was always interested in having sand tank . I was always kinda nervous about a tempting it, til I joined this site. There's tons of tips and such here. I love it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom