Question about "Seeding"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Long story short, I have a betta in a 5 gal who got sick, and I had to take out his filter pad because of the carbon in it while I gave him medication.

It's one of those little Whisper 5-10 gal filters, and while he was on medicine I put pantie hose over the bottom and used frequent WCs.

I need to do a re-cycle on his tank. Will putting the new filter pad into the filter of a larger, already cycled tank help?

If I leave it in there a week and then put it back in the 5 gal, will this speed up the process? I believe I've read something before about "seeding" this way, but correct me if in wrong.

Btw- I'm probably going to keep my betta in another tank until this one is cycled.

Yes, I tossed the old pad. I need to use a new one, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to put it in another filter next to some already cycled pads.

And my little betta buddy had popeye. I caught it quickly and he's all better now, and the medicine was E.M. Erythromycin.

Yes you can put the new filter pad with already established one, and within a day it will be seeded.

Back
Top Bottom