question about small white starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I was doing my weekly water change and "blowing" off the LR with a turkey baster, I noticed a very small (about 2 inches across-from leg to leg) white starfish. It looks like my banded brittle star except that it was completely white. He really was moving fast (I disturbed his house I think) and I didn't get a chance to snap a photo. I've been looking for him but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. What could this little guy be?

Thank you!

a micro star is what it sounds like from the description....a nice addition to find.

a micro star is what it sounds like from the description....a nice addition to find.

That's it!! I did a search on micro brittle stars and that is EXACTLY what it looks like. Thanks very much for the info.

One last question. They do stay small right? and the micro star shouldn't cause any problems with my banded brittle star right?

Thank you again!

they will stay small and they will present no issues with the other starfish

nice find dude im new here and this is such a great forum with great info, i was searching ,and man i have the same kind of star that hitchhike in my live rock and is in hiding ever since haha, shy little guy well thats awesome some found the same star i got.

little white stars can also be the dreaded asterina star.
check both if you got here by google.

Not all asternias are bad. Most of the asternias found in tanks are beneficial grazers and not the ones that munch corals. You are right for bringing up that point. Keep an eye on it around your corals, just in case.

They are great...I've found somewhere around 20 of them in my tank. (Micro Brittle)

I have a few of the asternias also...never had a problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom