Question about snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerjohn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. I have had a few snail before so I know a little about them. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I keep loosing snails about every 4 months. I had 2 black snails in different tanks and both died about 4 months after I got them and then just recently (March) I bought a gold snail from the LFS and it just died tonight or this weekend. It was sitting on a plant (fake) leaf and I just poked it with the net and the shell fell to the bottom and the insides were stuck to the leaf. The only other fish in that 5 gal tank is a make betta and I'm sure that he didn't do anything. Any advice before I buy another? I was thinking about ghost shrimp this time. Pros, Cons, Suggestions. This is a 5 gal Hex tank with the quiet filter. Thanks.

i dont know much about snails either so i wont try to give advice for that

Ghost shrimp are great, they are cheap and are great at cleaning the bottom. they are easy to take care of and are very small, you can put about 3-4 of them in with the betta

good luck :D

Bettas, depending on agression, will sometimes pick at snails. They do love the eggs. Otherwise, if you weren't keeping it well fed (ie: supplementing it's diet with food, not just algae) it could be starving to death, a common issue in algae eating things.

This is a little off topic but in my community tank, I suffer from a lot of waste. Is it true that a cory will clean that up or is that also the job of the pocasamous (sp)

Pleco's and cories do not eat fish waste. The only thing that will do that for you is a good ol fashion gravel vac. Ghost shrimp are not always snacks for bettas. I kept 6 ghost shrimp with my male betta and never lost a single one. It was when I moved them into the 10 gal with the molly and tetras that they were dispearing left and right. Some Bettas will snack on the ghost shrimp, but not all.

Alright. Thanks for all the help. I think that I will switch to ghost shrimp in the betta tank since they are $.30 a piece up here.

yeah, and make sure to get the larger ones because adult ghost shrimp should be too big for a betta to eat

Is it true that Ghost Shrimp only live for about a week? I think they're cool, but I don't want to buy any if they're going to die within a few days!

- Mandy

Nope. I kept mine for a few months with my Male Betta. One even had eggs but she died when I moved her to the 10 gal. She disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom