Question about swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to give some of my swordtails to my brother in law. He is not interested in breeding them and I have way too many males. Will the male swordtails be less aggressive toward each other if there are no other livebearers in the tank? I was going to give him 7 or 8 of my males which would thin down my own population to 3 mature males and about 10 mature females (and a lot of youngins).

What size tank does he have? Smaller tanks will mean more aggression, the larger the tank and hiding spots will reduce aggression? What other tankmates does he have?

His is a 55 also. I'm not worried about his tank mates being agressive. He has gouramis, a few SAEs and a small assortment of tetras.

With a 55 gal the swordtails should be able to spread out and not be quite as aggressive to each other. That being said, you won't know till he tries. Fish have different personalities and will react differently. If he has lots of hiding spots it should be eaiser to curb aggression. Also not having females in the tank eliminates the need to fight over the women. :)

So true. So true. Think how many fights and problems could be avoided without females around... :)

Back
Top Bottom