Question about t-8 lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
At the moment I have a 24" Aqueon T-8 15w Full Spectrum 6500k light overtop of my 26 gallon bowfront. My tank is between moderately and heavily planted and the plants seem to be doing pretty decently for the past 5 months, but they dont seem to be growing as fast as they should, atleast in my opinion.

So my question is, what is the difference between; regular flourescent, cfl, t-5, t-12, t-8, and etc. wattage? I assume some are stronger than others and in turn require less watts to put off good light or something of that nature?
(Sorry, its late and I'm having a hard time wording things the way I want.)

I know generally there is a 2 watt per gallon rule, but my 26 gallon is running fine on 15 watts, which is making me really curious. I would also like to add more light, but dont know what I should have? If t-5 or regular flourescents can fit in a t-8? Should I just look for more wattage, or add another light strip?

Basically I'm clueless on lighting. What I do know is that the 6500k range is where you want to be, and that the rule of thumb for planted tanks is 2w/gallon but I cant find a single, affordable (to me) t-8 light strip that has high enough wattage to follow that rule.

I hope you guys can help me out here. Any advice or info on lighting and what requirements I should be meeting would be appreciated.

I think watts per gallon only applies to t8, cfl, and other fluorescents weaker than T5, i believe. T5HO's for instance have reflectors that intensify lighting while using less watts therefore making watts per gallon meaningless.

So what's your budget? I think you'll have to ditch the t8 and upgrade to t5ho or high output LED's to get a substantial boost in growing capability in your lighting.

I have a 26g bow front too but I'm using the Finnex Ray 2 HO LED fixture on it. That sucker grows plants well. But I'm not sure if that's within your budget, but well worth it IMO "if" you want to grow moderate to high light plants. If you want to stick to low light plants, that's a different story.

I think watts per gallon only applies to t8, cfl, and other fluorescents weaker than T5, i believe. T5HO's for instance have reflectors that intensify lighting while using less watts therefore making watts per gallon meaningless.

So what's your budget? I think you'll have to ditch the t8 and upgrade to t5ho or high output LED's to get a substantial boost in growing capability in your lighting.

I have a 26g bow front too but I'm using the Finnex Ray 2 HO LED fixture on it. That sucker grows plants well. But I'm not sure if that's within your budget, but well worth it IMO "if" you want to grow moderate to high light plants. If you want to stick to low light plants, that's a different story.

LEDs (an area that IMO will continue to evolve and come down in price) may seem expensive up front, but if you factor in the cost of the annual replacement of dual T-5 HO or NO bulbs, the cost difference over time can become negligible.

I have a 20g long planted tank that had a single 17w T-8 10k bulb and switched to a dual T-5 NO fixture and plant growth improved, however, it is still in the IMO low light range (1.7 wpg). I'm happy with it but the Finnex series looks awfully tempting.

BTW I never thought of putting the dash between the "T" and the "8". I always put them together and after I posted it, it appeared as a T and smiley face hah

Light is measured in lumens not watts. So comparing lumen ratings is best.

If your plants are growing fine with no signs of problems stay with your current lighting. With low tech you must be patient,your plants won't grow 5 inches a week. Start increasing your lighting your running into throwing your tank out of balance and algae issues could start to occur.

If you add more light you will probably have to add co2 also, or you will run into algae problems. I use a twin tube T-5 Aqueon NO, with diy co2 in a 30long, and a 40 long and the plant growth is phenomenal

So I've been looking into lighting since I posted this...seems like Aqueon has some pretty decent t-5's at petsmart for like $50, I'll probably end up going with that. I am planning to do co2 if needed. Probably the paintball route, seems like it'd be less expensive over-all. Unless someone has a better suggestion

So I've been looking into lighting since I posted this...seems like Aqueon has some pretty decent t-5's at petsmart for like $50, I'll probably end up going with that. I am planning to do co2 if needed. Probably the paintball route, seems like it'd be less expensive over-all. Unless someone has a better suggestion
Check on Amazon for the Aqueon t-5's. They are much cheaper than petsmart, or LFS

I haven't tried these fixtures personally, but since you're will to go co2, you can consider going with a T5HO instead of "NO".

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52121p.htm

Seems decent plus it comes with bulbs.

I haven't tried these fixtures personally, but since you're will to go co2, you can consider going with a T5HO instead of "NO".

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Seems decent plus it comes with bulbs.

Wow! Thats a much better deal than I thought I could find them for. Will definitely purchase those.

Just a question, are t5 no and ho interchangable in a t5 fixture?

Not trying to burst your bubble here, but read lots of reviews on the Odyssea lightung before you buy it.:rolleyes:

Yes research is VERY wise. That's why i included the disclaimer of me not trying these fixtures so i can't comment on firsthand experience.

However, i have heard more experienced members say that they are decent for the money, certainly not the best, but adequate and capable to say the least. I also watched some YouTube reviews to indulge my curiosity of the product. Needless to say, if you start out with it, it comes with 2 bulbs already. Down the road when they need replacing, id get the Giessemann (sp?) T5ho bulbs for replacing as i hear they're regarded as the best in full spectrum. You can get 1x midday + 1x aquaflora. Just my 2 cents. So ask around and research before you buy.

I've used the Odyssea 24" dual T5HO light fixture on a 20H planted tank and it worked well. They are NOT as bright as high end fixtures but for planted tanks that's not usually an issue. Some people actually get that light because it isn't as intense as other T5 lights. That helps to avoid over-lighting a planted tank (and big algae issues). The stock bulbs aren't good but they work fine for a while and because they're HO you can get lots of awesome bulb replacements later on. Most of the complaints are for reef tanks not planted tanks. It's a very sensible light to choose and I wouldn't recommend against it. Just make sure to get the planted version and not the reef version.

From a safety standpoint I have read that some of them have caused fires. However I believe those were the MH, t-5 combo lights. That being said, I am actually contemplating the 72" 320 watt for my 125, or 2 of the 36" quad lights. They are priced very right for sure.

I've used the Odyssea 24" dual T5HO light fixture on a 20H planted tank and it worked well. They are NOT as bright as high end fixtures but for planted tanks that's not usually an issue. Some people actually get that light because it isn't as intense as other T5 lights. That helps to avoid over-lighting a planted tank (and big algae issues). The stock bulbs aren't good but they work fine for a while and because they're HO you can get lots of awesome bulb replacements later on. Most of the complaints are for reef tanks not planted tanks. It's a very sensible light to choose and I wouldn't recommend against it. Just make sure to get the planted version and not the reef version.

The price is definitely a draw factor for this product. I have been looking do something for a 20L. I have a Coralife Aqualight dual NO 2x18w and it works fine for low light but I am looking for something stronger.

Brian - what kind I light output (par) should I expect from a Finnex 30" FugeRay over a 20L? And for the ray 2? Regarding LEDs, not having to change the bulbs annually is a savings in itself.

The odyssea fire thing was caused by one of their MH lights many years ago. This was back when they were much lower quality fixtures, little more than Chinese knock-offs. They have since stepped up the quality somewhat, and have been used extensively since then with minimal issue. I've seen people complain about fires starting in a number of different brands of fixtures, but for some reason the stigma has stuck with Odyssea for many years.

Yeah, never could find out exactly when the fire issue was going on. I just thought I would mention it so people could research, and make an educated decision. I decided to try them in spite of the bad rap they have received. Glad to hear thewre have been improvements in the quality.!!

Brian - what kind I light output (par) should I expect from a Finnex 30" FugeRay over a 20L? And for the ray 2? Regarding LEDs, not having to change the bulbs annually is a savings in itself.

Here's all the PAR data on both the Ray2 and FugeRay. Distance vs. PAR

Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data

Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.​
(Source)

Back
Top Bottom