Question about the aqadvisor stock calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon although when putting in my dimensions it actually tells me my gallonage is just over 64 gallons. 48"x13" and two feet deep top to bottom.

My current stock is 81% with filter capacity at over 160%. Then I added to the list what I would like to do in the future and it shows I still have more than adequate filter capacity, but I am stocked to 101%. It recommends a 27% pwc weekly, but I already do over 30% weekly. My question is should I stay below the capacity or is it ok to go over just a slight amount?

My current stock is:
16 neon tetras
8 cherry barbs
4 guppies
2 red wag platies
2 Angelicus Botia Loaches (got a third ordered)
4 otocinclus
10 red cherry shrimp

Now, I know the advisor says not to have rcs with the loaches as they may become food, but I was told otherwise before buying the loaches. Now I have them and I like them. I have tried to remove the shrimp, but they have too many places to run and hide so I have not been able to catch them to just make a shrimp tank. Anyway, with that stock it shows I am 81% stocked.

Since my cherry barbs are mostly females and I would like to have more color I want to add six ornately colorful guppies. Yes, I read the aqadvisor statement that my loaches may fin nip the guppies, but I was told by a mulltitude of others that these particular loaches are peaceful and will not bother other fish. Plus my loaches rarely go above mid way of the tank and my guppies rarely go below the mid way of the tank. Anyway, if I add six more guppies that puts my stocking capacity at 101%, but I still have adequate filtration with the addition.

Any thoughts on this? All guppies will be male.

I think adding the guppies will be fine. As long as you are diligent with PWCs then I see no issue.

Aqadvisor is a guideline, not a rule. If you can keep water parameters iline (make sure you test water) then you can do whatever you want in theory. At 101% i wouldnt be worried at all, again if you keep the water quality good enough.

Also, aqadvisor is based on adult sizes and many people end up upgrading tanks anyway. I am relatively new to this and looking to get my third tank, and yes all three will be inhabited, not just upgrading, but expanding! Enjoy!

Aqadvisor generally stocks tighter than needed, and like bigfish said - it's more of a guideline - less a rule. Whenever you get a number from there it is best to run it by the forum to make sure it is in the ballpark, which it looks like you are doing :) I think the proposed stock plus 6 guppies will be fine.

Thanks guys. And yes, I am pretty ocd on testing every couple of days and doing my pwc's when needed or at least weekly.

Back
Top Bottom